Noob rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLeo

Dabbler
I have been running Freenas for probably 2 months or so and have posted AND received excellent information on the Plex media Server for mapping folders. I started with FN9.3, skipped Corral and went directly to the 9.11 Stable upgrade. My network consists of Win10 Pro accessing the server and up until this weekend was successfully sharing the files to and fro without a problem. In fact, everything was going really well until this weekend dragging and dropping files and the two "systems" were friendly. This weekend I was intent on configuring the HTTPS with the internal certificate process according to the ix systems video because Firefox (my default browser) didn't "trust" the FN server and at completion and it was a pain because the exception wouldn't stick between sessions. So I am determined to "learn" because CLI processes are foreign; I came onboard AFTER the DOS/CLI era so command line navigation is new to me. I'm GUI! But I love to learn! Probably from my mistakes this time!

One mistake I DID make in this process was to use the Windows 10 feature of redirecting folders and their contents to another location--in this case I thought it was bright idea to use Freenas to house those folders instead of in the Windows traditional folder, i.e., Documents, Pictures, Video & Music. I also added a "Downloads" folder. ( I never once claimed impeccable logic!) So if I saved a Windows file into "Documents," it was really residing in the "Documents" data set on FN. And for the past few weeks, I was proud of myself! Everything was easily accessible back and forth with Windows permissions and such. Until this weekend. I found out duplication of data is superior to re-direction of data!

Sometime, I noticed my Windows icons for those folders--specifically the Docs folder completely disappeared! The other four were still showing up in Windows BUT when trying to access them "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS\Pictures" and likewise on the others. And if I manage to get to a user/pw prompt it doesn't recognize what I KNOW is the correct one. I KNOW I goofed up something!

So this is my dilemma. I can get into FN through the web interface. I can see all the data sets corresponding to the folders mentioned above. FN is still working and as far as I can tell, the data still exists. I just can't get to it from Win10. So yesterday I thought long and hard, went out and bought another USB drive and went through the fresh install process THINKING I might be able to get into the directories again. Of course, FN doesn't recognize the old data and wants to re-format the ZFS, yada, you know I stopped that dead in its tracks! So now I have a brand new, virgin USB instance of the OS and the old version which still works but is locked out of Windows for whatever reason.

My primary goal is simply to rescue the GB's of data (possibly onto external drives) through the working FN interface. I'm hoping that's possible. Since I have a "fresh" USB--once I rescue my data--I plan on starting fresh in case faulty code resides in the "old" system that my be causing the problem. BTW, the datasets were done in Windows format when they were transferred, not UNIX or the other choices. The SMB process has been stopped and started just in case it hiccuped. No change.

Is rescuing the data without trying to "fix" any other issues with FN or Windows still possible? Is my plan of getting it BACK into Windows format on a portable drive feasible? Then redoing the server and re-copying it back to FN (while RETAINING that copy like I should have in the first place!)?

melloa

Wizard
Let me try to summarize: You've created datasets and windows shares to use as your windows documents, pics, etc and after playing with the config, you lost access to those folders, right?

I'd think your data is ok.

As you don't have access to the GUI, access freenas console from the freenas box (option 9).
Enter the shell
Type: zpool status
You should see at least two pools there: freenas-boot and yours (mine is called raid, see below):
Code:
[root@mellonas] ~# zpool status
  pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Jul 21 03:45:18 2017
config:

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		freenas-boot								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/8cf5a83d-a7b5-11e6-9873-fcaa14c11515  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: raid
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 260K in 141h33m with 0 errors on Fri Jul 28 21:33:16 2017
config:

Once confirmed your volume is there, you can work on getting your access back, but 1st move your windows folders configuration back to default.
For the FreeNAS it is recommended to always make a back-up of your config files for those cases. You cold reinstall -> import your volume and old config before the changes or use option 8 from the console to reset to factory defaults and import your volume -> import the old config.
If you don't have a copy of an old config, you can do a fresh install -> import your volume and configure your shares.

Hope that helps and others will join with other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.