I'll be that guy (PMS update ETA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brbubba

Dabbler
Just wish I had known all this before going down the plugin path as I would have skipped it entirely. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Just wish I had known all this before going down the plugin path as I would have skipped it entirely. :)

Anytime something is a push-button you should ask yourself what you are losing. Unless the default use-case *is* push-button then you are most certainly losing "something".

brbubba

Dabbler
Anytime something is a push-button you should ask yourself what you are losing. Unless the default use-case *is* push-button then you are most certainly losing "something".

Yeah but in that case you could argue that the entire GUI of FreeNAS is "push-button".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah but in that case you could argue that the entire GUI of FreeNAS is "push-button".

Right after I submitted my post I actually thought about this. And you are partially correct.

Compared to setting up FreeBSD, FreeNAS is very much push-button. And a search of the forums would easily confirm this. You lose a lot, and I mean a lot of customizable options by choosing to use FreeNAS over FreeBSD. In the FreeBSD community there's only 2 types of people that choose to use FreeNAS that I've seen. Those that know better and don't want to deal with setting up a FreeBSD box from scratch themselves and those that choose to use FreeNAS because it's an interesting experiment for them.

Magnus33

Patron
That's always going to be the case unfortunately but there is a third group to this dynamic which are that ones that can do the work but don't because they have no need for the extra control.

In this age were free time is a endangered species some just want to have something simple that works and this does bring a danger with it that people can stop learning how to actually do stuff.

Has freenas become more push button absolutely and this trend is very likely to increase rather then slow down.
Business's don't want to have to get into code unless they have to since time is money. (rule of business the buyer is god give him what he wants)

Have we seen the end of plugins..almost certainly not but its likely the present form is going to change greatly

Cyberjock i agree plugins in business are going to be different but what goes on in freenas is a test bed for truenas to a certain degree.

As for what comes next who knows since no plan ever survives the battlefield and things always change.

My only hope is that it doesn't go too far down the push button road and real control can still be had in the future.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The reality of it though is that the "third group" you mention doesn't exist in meaningful numbers. I went from deciding to run my owncloud jail and ditch the plugin to having it working in 4 hours. And for most people that have the knowledge, you could literally create the jail in 15 minutes. Most people would find the 15 minutes versus 1 minute to be a non-brainer. Quite literally, if you are FreeBSD literate you almost certainly *will* spend the 15 minutes to run about 10 command line commands to get everything how you want it. It's not difficult in the slightest for anyone familiar with FreeBSD.

If you really want to do stuff that FreeNAS does and have FreeBSD experience, you're only likely to save yourself an hour or two compared to a FreeBSD configuration. And anyone that's familiar with FreeBSD knows how incredibly powerful it is while FreeNAS is incredibly limited(relatively speaking). It definitely wouldn't take a weekend to setup a FreeBSD server and the additional control you have is a MAJOR plus. Even I've considered going full fledged FreeBSD just because of the awesome power provided in FreeBSD. Will there be an incredibly steep learning curve for some things? I have no doubt it will. It might even take me a week or two to get it completely setup whereas my box currently works just fine with FreeNAS.

Magnus33

Patron
The realty is the third group is massively bigger then the other two and your not realizing it.

Parents, grandparents, single moms, single fathers all of which are fully capable but don't have the time or don't need the extra features.
My own father is fully capable and in many cases more so then many on this board but he has no need or desire to do the coding .

Ten years ago you would likely have been correct but those days have be fading out more and more every year now.
My better half works in this area of the industry and its by far the fastest area.

Your thinking the same way most isp do that people don't understand whats going on and they don't know what the words mean
There is a certain group that doesn't but it been growing smaller every year now.

10 years ago when it was harder to learn and to know where to go to learn yes they were less.
Now baby's can use ipads almost before they walk and can make android apps before they can drink.

You need proof go look on google market..and yes the coding different iam merely using it as a example.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
The third group of people sound like the people that should buy a drobo, and won't know the difference.

edit: And this is if you ignore the fact that most of these people would rather pay $5 a month for Netflix, or Hulu, or pandora for their media consumption and wouldn't even use Plex or Subsonic, or plugins in general. Storing, and maintaining a media library is a much bigger job than setting up plugins manually.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So let me get this straight... I said there's 2 groups of people:

In the FreeBSD community there's only 2 types of people that choose to use FreeNAS that I've seen. Those that know better and don't want to deal with setting up a FreeBSD box from scratch themselves and those that choose to use FreeNAS because it's an interesting experiment for them.

The realty is the third group is massively bigger then the other two and your not realizing it.

Parents, grandparents, single moms, single fathers all of which are fully capable but don't have the time or don't need the extra features.
My own father is fully capable and in many cases more so then many on this board but he has no need or desire to do the coding .

You really going to tell me that this group of parents, grandparents, single mom, single fathers are fully capable of running FreeBSD jails, but choose to use FreeNAS for its simplicity? Sure, I can agree that there are definitely a non-zero number of those users. But, you also said...

Yeah.. I stopped reading your post at that point. That group of people go to Walmart and buy an eternal hard drive, plug it into their computer via USB and do backups with Acronis Trueimage on their Windows machine and call it a day.

This "third group" you refer to are, are 99.99% people that couldn't tell you the difference between linux and FreeBSD if their life depended on it.

I'm done with this conversation. You clearly aren't in touch with reality. I'm almost convinced you're trolling.

Magnus33

Patron
Cyberjock i respect you and you do a great job here but at times you got a bit of a arrogance factor going on sometimes.

Most of my family ,myself and my better half have work in the industry and we know a little of what we are talking about.
The love of my life heads her department which has funding enough to make most set for life and she works for of our major harddrive makers.

Also i didn't insult ,attack or go after anyone here and had no problem politely debating things with you.

Yet you a admin went and decided to insult..for what reason? Because i wont go along with what you chose to believe?

That last line was beneath you and i more then a little disgusted by it.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
"I've worked in the industry for years." That's like the "I know what I'm talking about because I have a degree" argument.

Magnus33

Patron
"I've worked in the industry for years." That's like the "I know what I'm talking about because I have a degree" argument.

I was politely debating with him you on the other hand are attacking so exactly were does that place you?

Ohh this is a forum what are you expecting a photo at the office or maybe a signed affidavit?
I wasn't trying to proof my credentials but get the point across that there are people who do this thing for a living and have much better info on the subject.

All refrain from answering you after this or i shall risk behaving as he mentioned and this would further this tread not at all.

Cyberjock a adult why not let him answer for himself?

D4nthr4x

Explorer
I was politely debating with him you on the other hand are attacking so exactly were does that place you?

Ohh this is a forum what are you expecting a photo at the office or maybe a signed affidavit?
I wasn't trying to proof my credentials but get the point across that there are people who do this thing for a living and have much better info on the subject.

All refrain from answering you after this or i shall risk behaving as he mentioned and this would further this tread not at all.

Cyberjock a adult why not let him answer for himself?

I was mostly joking, you seem to be very defensive. I just think that saying things like that is a weak defense to an argument in general and it's much better if you don't revert to cliches like that. For one "the industry" is massive and working in it for decades doesn't mean that you know anything about a given system. I could have been a windows admin for 30 years that doesn't mean I know anything about Mac OSx management, or Linux management. Hell being a Linux admin doesn't mean I know anything about FreeBSD management or ZFS management. FreeNAS and ZFS is such a different animal than most other "industry" jobs that it comes off as a bit of a joke when you say "you've been in the industry" it just becomes stereotypical of someone who thinks they know what they are doing and isn't actually going to listen to the advice people give. Not that it has anything to do with this discussion I was just poking fun, not attacking you. I should have put a :P at the end. But yeah I was just pointing out why that's a bad saying, I'm not implying that you don't know anything, sorry that you took it that way.

Magnus33

Patron
Your correct i was defensive after cyber uncalled for and insulting remarks.

Sorry for getting a little snappy there :)

Yeah that true enough its somewhat weak but there no real way to prove stuff in here like that short of a press release.
It wasn't meant to prove i good i am but to make cyberjock release that there are other people in this big world who know what they are doing.

Sadly instead of agreeing to disagree which would have the disagree you can see the response we got.
Normally something like that would have just made me laugh but it seems to have gotten me when overtired.

Have a great weekend and again iam sorry for being defensive there..whoops.

Magnus33

Patron
I filed a bug report and they updated it today so the server up to date with what plex has out.

hunter

Explorer
I have found and modified some instructions from here to work with the pbi files. I will work on attempting to update the pbi file myself sometime soon but for anyone eager here are the instructions:
Disclaimer: This worked for me but I am not responsible for any problems that may occur or data that may be lost. Do so at your own risk.
I have had a bug since I installed plex where I could not update my settings through the GUI "Your settings could not be saved" but this is not related to the update.

Code:
su
mkdir /tmp/src
cd /tmp/src
wget http://downloads.plexapp.com/plex-media-server/0.9.9.10.458-008ea34/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.10.458-008ea34-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2
tar xvf PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.10.458-008ea34-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2
service plexmediaserver stop
mv /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver.old
mkdir /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver
cp -r /tmp/src/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.10.458-008ea34/* /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver/
service plexmediaserver start

Successfully running 9.9.10 and thanks you Cyberjock and Joshua for motivating me to try it myself!
Just wanted to thank Darkryoushii for sharing the manual update process--worked perfectly for me a few days ago and the new server fixed issues streaming over a vpn.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Magnus33

Patron
I found the manual update works and is quick but can have the odd problem now and then for unknown reason.

Sometimes it wont update storage for the server after the update or allow you to add he shares to the server.

The update option does work for the most part but takes quite a long time (5 hours or more) for large collections.
That and you kind of got to file a bug report to get the server version updated as posting here tends not be monitored much by the programers.

Quick response though when bug report was filed as its a easy update for them.

BrianDMG

Explorer
Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in and share something some fine gent posted on the Plex forums - it's a script to update Plex on FreeNAS, which you can then set up a cron within the jail to run at an interval of your choosing. I tested it out, and it seems legit. I would've opened a new thread, but this one seemed appropriate.

Plex Forum Discussion: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/112094-official-freenas-plugin/
Script Readme: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater
Script: https://github.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/blob/master/PMS_Updater.sh

Status
Not open for further replies.