Plex inside VirtualBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miniwehats

Explorer
Hello,

I am wondering if there is any issues with running Plex (PMS) inside a VM running off of Virtuabox Jail?

Only reason I would do it this way vs running Plex on its own jail is, the windows version gets updated quicker and is more simple to update and manage.

Right now I have it running on a Windows 7 VM and seems to run just fine, I had some networking issues but enabled Bridge Mode on the VM and everything has been fine.

Would this cause too much stress on my NAS? Constant Reads/Writes on ZFS?

Specs:

15 3.2ghz Haswell
16gb ram
VM has 4 cores capped at 60%. - Should I only give it 3 to leave 1 core for Freenas? Or increase the Cap to 80%? My CPU usage on Freenas never really goes above ~10% .

My NAS is mainly a storage hub for my Plex media, I run a FTP server and a small Minecraft server here and there. Other than that the NAS does not have a high work load.

Thank you!

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That doesn't make sense. A jail with Plex installed is pretty damn easy to update. 'pkg update && pkg upgrade'

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Only reason I would do it this way vs running Plex on its own jail is, the windows version gets updated quicker and is more simple to update and manage.
I agree with just running it in a jail. However, I have seen (and read about) a lag in the pkg's. So this is the way I update. I got it from the plex forums.
Code:
root@plexmediaserver_1:~ # more how-to-upgrade-plex.txt
fetch --no-verify-peer -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u plexusername -p mypassword -a -v

fracai

Guru
That doesn't make sense. A jail with Plex installed is pretty damn easy to update. 'pkg update && pkg upgrade'
You don't even need to "update" first as the "upgrade" will run "update" first if it's needed.

So this is the way I update. I got it from the plex forums.
Code:
root@plexmediaserver_1:~ # more how-to-upgrade-plex.txt
fetch --no-verify-peer -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh
chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh
./PMS_Updater.sh -u plexusername -p mypassword -a -v
Is that to update a manual install of Plex? Or are you updating the install that was originally provided by "pkg"?

Never mind. I looked at the updater script and it's for updating Plex as installed as a plugin.

Miniwehats

Explorer
My ask here is more around the performance of my NAS and if there is any negative effects I should be aware of running it this way.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
My ask here is more around the performance of my NAS and if there is any negative effects I should be aware of running it this way.

Negative effects? Not necessarily other than it will be using a lot more resources than it needs to be. Just install it in a jail and be done with it.

Miniwehats

Explorer
Negative effects? Not necessarily other than it will be using a lot more resources than it needs to be. Just install it in a jail and be done with it.
Well this VM is running 24/7 that I use for other stuff, so it is already using resources. If it is just a resource issue I will play around with both and see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.