Runing FreeNAS inside docker container possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neosphere

Dabbler
Hi there good people,

I'm currently running QNAP 470 Pro with 2x 2TB RAID 1 (so 4 disks) and additionally rent a VPS.
On the QNAP I mainly have my documents and a huge amount of personal videos and photos and run a backup of all the data to CrashPlan. Additionally the QNAP box hosts Plex Media Server.
On the VPS I host several private domains.

Now I play with the idea of running a HTPC with one of the cool Linux distros because I'm sick of the limitations of the QNAP box.
The idea would be to run a CentOS or Fedora Host with Docker or maybe even OpenShift (Origin) on it. Every service would run as a Docker container. The services would be as follows.

- FreeNAS
- Plex Media Server
- JDownloader2
- Couch Potato or Radarr
- SABnzbd
- CrashPlan
- Virtualmin
- and probably many others

TL;DR:
1. Would FreeNAS be able to run inside a Docker container on the Fedora host and would it be able to manage the NAS storage of the host? Did someone do it and maybe has description for it? ;)
2. What would be your hardware recommendation for a ultra silent living room NAS monster pc? ;) I already own 4x Western Digital Red SATA 4TB/64MB and would like to reuse them. I additionally want to use a SSD for the OS.

m0nkey_

MVP
1. Would FreeNAS be able to run inside a Docker container on the Fedora host and would it be able to manage the NAS storage of the host? Did someone do it and maybe has description for it?
No. FreeNAS is an independent appliance operating system. It has no support for Docker.
2. What would be your hardware recommendation for a ultra silent living room NAS monster pc? ;) I already own 4x western digital Red SATA 4TB/64MB and would like to reuse them. I additionally want to use a SSD for the OS.
Suggest you check out the hardware recommendations guide: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Edit: Just to clarify, you could run Docker in a Virtual Machine hosted by FreeNAS. Giving you the power of FreeNAS as well as being able to utilize docker all in the same box.

Neosphere

Dabbler
No. FreeNAS is an independent appliance operating system. It has no support for Docker.
Edit: Just to clarify, you could run Docker in a Virtual Machine hosted by FreeNAS. Giving you the power of FreeNAS as well as being able to utilize docker all in the same box.
OK, but I'm reading about 11.1 all over the place being able to run docker. So, yes, not running FreeNAS as docker container but FreeNAS being the host for docker containers.

I worry about running Apache and Wordpress next to my precious private family photos and videos.
Can I somehow jail plug-ins in FreeNAS other than running them inside docker containers?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.