freenas on Qnap ts-410 possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joaosalomao

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole NAS thing and just got a Qnap ts-410. Was wondering if I could install FreeNAS on it?
Any ideas/tips/how-tos would be really appreciated.

I have looked around and FreeNAS 8, as awesome as it seems, has monster hardware reqs. It seems unlikely, but a man can dream right? And I was also wondering about earlier versions... If there's an 8 there must have been a 2, or a 4 even... would those fit my Qnap?

Thanks in advance for any brain-time I get, t'would be cool indeed to have some help.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
On top of that, the QNAP products are generally considered to be good quality and feature-rich. Is there something you're looking to add to the unit that it doesn't currently support?

joaosalomao

Cadet
Well, I was interested in zfs for one... I am unimpressed with jbod (especially the inability to add/remove hdds, and don't need the redundancy (nor the 1/4 of storage space it takes on my 4hdd array) in raid 5 and I'm not too happy about the whole smallest disk shortens the others thing...

So I guess I'm disappointed with the world, perhaps. Looking for a PERFECT solution does not usually come without compromise. And I can't really cry a river over having a 1/4 redundancy on raid 5, right?

Just for the record, I'm really new at this and am still getting my bearings. I'm learning as a I go along.

Thanks so much for all your help, and of you have any ideas about this, I'm all ears/eyes...

survive

Behold the Wumpus

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I would point out that not using some form of data protection significantly increases the risks to your data. It's a probability theory thing. Think of rolling dice. If you roll a six, your drive is dead. If you have just one, you have a 1/6 chance of hitting a six. But if you have two, you have an 11/36 chance that at least one of them is a six - or almost 1/3. If you have four, that rises to 671/1296, if I did the math right, which is worse than 1 in 2.

Generally, you are MUCH better off putting your data on JBOD disks than a nonredundant filesystem made up of 4 drives.

But if you have redundancy, then you can actually take the loss of a drive with very little risk, which is a much better scenario all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.