Can I install freeNas on Qnap ts-112?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaligule

Cadet
Hello there,

I would like to run FreeNAS on my Qnap ts-112. Is this possible?

I found this thread on a similar topic for the ts-410, but it is somewhat old and I am not sure the argument is valid for my model. (I don't really understand what the cpu architecture has to do with this.) I tried forum search and google (and duckduckgo), but I could not find an answer.

In the documentation (Installing and Upgrading FreeNAS) is also said:
"Before installing, it is important to remember that the FreeNAS® operating system must be installed on a separate device from the drive(s) that will hold the storage data. In other words, if you only have one disk drive you will be able to use the FreeNAS® graphical interface but won’t be able to store any data, which after all, is the whole point of a NAS system."​
Does this mean (since the ts-112 has only one hdd) that installing FreeNAS on th ts-112 has no point?

I am honestly interested in your answers,
Kaligule

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hello there,

I would like to run FreeNAS on my Qnap ts-112. Is this possible?

I found this thread on a similar topic for the ts-410, but it is somewhat old and I am not sure the argument is valid for my model. (I don't really understand what the cpu architecture has to do with this.) I tried forum search and google (and duckduckgo), but I could not find an answer.

In the documentation (Installing and Upgrading FreeNAS) is also said:
"Before installing, it is important to remember that the FreeNAS® operating system must be installed on a separate device from the drive(s) that will hold the storage data. In other words, if you only have one disk drive you will be able to use the FreeNAS® graphical interface but won’t be able to store any data, which after all, is the whole point of a NAS system."​
Does this mean (since the ts-112 has only one hdd) that installing FreeNAS on th ts-112 has no point?

I am honestly interested in your answers,
Kaligule
That device doesn't even REMOTELY meet the necessary hardware requirements for FreeNAS, even if you were to multiply its capabilities ***BY TEN**.

The answer is "no", sir.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No you can't install FreeNAS on that. Read the hardware stickies to get an idea of acceptable hardware.

Glorious1

Guru
Does this mean (since the ts-112 has only one hdd) that installing FreeNAS on th ts-112 has no point?Kaligule
Re the hard drive/boot drive issue, people usually install FreeNAS onto one or more USB flash drives, 8 GB minimum. That frees the HDD for data. As your quote implies, you can't put anything else on the boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.