IBM x3550 M3 2x4Core Xeon, 72GB RAM, Serveraid M1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalliz

Cadet
Hey everyone, new here first post :smile:
This is not my first freeNAS, use one at work for imaging and storage, but this one will be a home build.
I'm contemplating on using this hardware for it, or should I just build a mITX. It's great hardware, but very loud so it'll end up in attic.
The intention will be safe data storage first, then Plex.

I saw a post about flashing the controller, I'll go for that (makes perfect sense to me). Is there anything else I
might be overlooking on why this shuldn't be a great box for my build?

Further I'm contemplating on installing ESXi (that's what I do on daily basis at work) and run FreeNAS with the controller as pass-through? Any reason on why to stay away from that? my main reason is the abundance of ram could be utilised for other machines

third and last question. the drives are 2.5". i currently have 2x160GB SATA and 2x300GB SAS (front panel takes max 4 2.5" HDDs". I'll definetely replace the SATA pair with modern/bigger ones. I'm half thinking to slap in 4x2TB and build a Raidz1 (2TB seems to be the current biggest size for 2.5"). Is that a good way to go? better options?

Hit me with your thoughts !!

Thanks, kalli

joelmusicman

Patron
Wow. That's an absolute beast of a system...

My thoughts.
1. Power consumption - Dual Xeon + 1U fans + 18 populated DIMMs = gobs of power used. I'm guessing it'll idle at ~200W. Be sure to do the math on how much it'll cost to run vs. a more expensive (and more efficient) initial outlay.
2. Attic is probably not an ideal environment. Computers don't like dust and heat, and there's probably lots of both.
3. For FreeNAS use, the hardware is WAY OVERKILL for only 4 2.5" drives. Could you find a 3-4U unit instead and run the cheaper & better for NAS 3.5" drives?

In summary, whether this particular machine is worth doing for you really depends entirely on what else you'll be doing with it in ESXi, since that machine does not seem very suitable for a FreeNAS build alone.

kalliz

Cadet
not really what I wanted to hear, but sound advise ... If for arguments sake you're right about the 200W (lets say average), then that'd cost me 350EUR a year.
i fully agree with the overkill on the drives. If it were a6bay 3.5" maybe more sense, but this one, if I make that Raidz2, i'll get a maximum of 4TB out of that yoke.

It was a great idea, but essentially I'd prefer something small for my home office not a cooker on the roof ... I'll leave it to virtualize something (at work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.