I use plex Media Server on two network cards with different ip with Freenas

bluj

Explorer
Hi everyone I need to use the Plex media server on two different network cards with different ip addresses like 192.168.100.x / 24 on card A and 192.168.50.xx / 24 on card B.

I have already configured the network cards of the nas on different ip and I access the web console of the nas from both networks and up to here everything is ok.

Now the problem is to configure the plugins present in the Jails of the Plex Media Server by inserting two IPs on both ranges to allow reachability from both networks, and I don't know how to proceed, whether to add a new Plex Media Server with a different IP or just add the new ip in the Plex Media Server already present, but I don't know the correct syntax, or maybe a different procedure is needed.

Thank you

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Plex can only listen on one port, so you may have trouble (although it should work with the right port forwarding setup) to get it to work externally from the one Plex server instance.

It might be a database nightmare if you try to point 2 Plex servers at the same database and media location, so there's that to nudge you toward keeping the single instance.

If you add a second interface to the jail and bridge it to the right bridge, you should have the possibility of having 2 IP addresses and if you change the network settings appropriately, it should listen on both (on the same port on each)... but I have no idea if the folks over at Plex have ever considered that as an option or if they would support it or not.

bluj

Explorer
Plex can only listen on one port, so you may have trouble (although it should work with the right port forwarding setup) to get it to work externally from the one Plex server instance.

Regarding this answer is it possible to add a second port with different number in the Plex settings? If so, what is the correct syntax?

If you add a second interface to the jail and bridge it to the right bridge, you should have the possibility of having 2 IP addresses and if you change the network settings appropriately, it should listen on both (on the same port on each)... but I have no idea if the folks over at Plex have ever considered that as an option or if they would support it or not.

Regarding this other answer I made some tests by adding a second ip in the jail and adding the related storage with the same names as the first configuration in the plex. Trying to ping the new ip it doesn't respond, restarted freenas still no ping.

What can I change to make this second ip work?

sretalla