SOLVED I need help with Windows 10 write access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to FreeNAS. earlier this week I built a dedicated FreeNAS machine. Ive been reading all week on setting it up and went through an online walk-through I found. I'm mainly using this system as a Plex server and some light backup. Ive been able to create datasets, install the Plex server and have it running, and to enable shares, but the problem I have is actually writing to the system. I'm able to access the folders from my Windows 10 PC, but as soon as I try to transfer files to the FreeNAS system I get a "Destination Folder Access Denied" error that looks like this
upload_2016-9-17_11-31-19.png

Im not sure what Im doing wrong, but Ive been working on this for a few days with no success. Can anyone help me out here. I apologize if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-17_11-31-9.png
    upload_2016-9-17_11-31-9.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,221

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
I used THIS walk-through as it was the first one that came up on a google search. It seemed that shares were geared towards Linux, but I used it anyways. Do you by chance have a link to said youtube video?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

PeterFig

Dabbler
Just figured this out myself. From the FreeNAS web UI, go to Storage->Volumes and click on your Windows (CIFS) "dataset". At the bottom you'll see a bunch of icons appear:

upload_2016-9-17_18-35-56.png

^---- click on this first one with the key.

That will allow you to select the user and group, just like Linux, and select the "Windows" user permissions:

upload_2016-9-17_18-37-59.png

Assuming you've already made a user ID for yourself in the Account->Users portion of the web interface, you'll find that ID in the drop-down menu here.

I turned off Guest access so it made me type in this username and password when connecting to the share. Then I was able to write. Hope this works for you too!

JohnnyDangerX2

Dabbler
Just figured this out myself. From the FreeNAS web UI, go to Storage->Volumes and click on your Windows (CIFS) "dataset". At the bottom you'll see a bunch of icons appear:

View attachment 13710

^---- click on this first one with the key.

That will allow you to select the user and group, just like Linux, and select the "Windows" user permissions:

View attachment 13711

Assuming you've already made a user ID for yourself in the Account->Users portion of the web interface, you'll find that ID in the drop-down menu here.

I turned off Guest access so it made me type in this username and password when connecting to the share. Then I was able to write. Hope this works for you too!

Thank you so much. One simple change made all the difference. I had the Guess access on so it wasnt asking for my password. As soon as I turned that off, the computer asked for the password and I had full access. I cant believe that one little thing had me so stumped. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.