Formated HDD on FreeNAS 10 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsoft

Cadet
Hi,
Im new here. Ive just want to ask if its normal that install (well, update form 9.x to 10.x) re-formated all my HDDs. I understand that FreeNAS wants own (supported) filesystem, but its not cool to delete NTFS HDDs instead and WITHOUT asking. This happened from upgrade from 9.x to 10.x.

HDDs have just "This is a NAD data disk and can not boot system.." as a boot record, unrecognized filesystem from Windows or Linux.

I guess its time for me to dig up some backups and run recovery software (it was something over 4TB..). Im not angry, Im just a bit disapointed that "beta/testing" version did this. Farewell.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Uh. You shouldn't have any ntfs disks at all in your freenas box for long term use. Can you explain why you had ntfs disks in there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xsoft

Cadet
Yeap, my primary disk for NAS died (it was on Windows), and I want a replace for it. So I install FreeNAS 9 on separate disk. Version9 did nto want to open NTFS disk (for obvious reason), I thouth that new (alfa) version could do better. I was ill at that time and I didnt have too much time to "play" with it. So I hit "update to 10" button and this is a result.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sure? As in you understand that it's pre-alpha?

What part of pre-alpha says beta to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We seem to be posting at the same time but logically you wouldn't actually use testing software for your "production" system. You would use it on a test box that doesn't contain data that you care if you lose.

xsoft

Cadet
We seem to be posting at the same time but logically you wouldn't actually use testing software for your "production" system. You would use it on a test box that doesn't contain data that you care if you lose.

You have the point. That true, I should nto use that on production system. My bad.

Glorious1

Guru
It's a little unclear (to me at least) what you did, but at your level of understanding (and that of most of us), you should stay with version 9 until 10 is a stable release. FreeNAS can not use an NTFS disk in a volume, it can only import from it. If you want to migrate NTFS disks to FreeNAS, the thing to do is first set up a volume in FreeNAS using empty disks (or disks that have nothing you want - they will be reformatted). Then you can either (a) use something like rsync to send the data to the FreeNAS volume, or (b) put the NTFS disk into the FreeNAS disk and import it into the FreeNAS volume using Storage > Import Disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.