I love my Freenas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikkard

Dabbler
Thank you so much every developer and community member who contribute! I find very much information in this forum and when I'm not I get clues on how to proceed. It's very inspiring and lots of fun making things to work. The only problem right now is that I need a second Freenasbox to do testing on.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's always good to see that people find the forum useful. It's a nice improvement over the "If you go there, you'll be shamed into setting fire to your computer and will never want to touch anything again." kind of reputation the forum gets.

Cyberjock warned me against making positive remarks about the forum, so I'll let you make them.:p

gpsguy

If you've got sufficient RAM in a workstation, consider one of the virtualization products like VMware or Virtualbox. Many of us use these type of products for testing software.

Rikkard

Dabbler
It's always good to see that people find the forum useful. It's a nice improvement over the "If you go there, you'll be shamed into setting fire to your computer and will never want to touch anything again." kind of reputation the forum gets.

Cyberjock warned me against making positive remarks about the forum, so I'll let you make them.:p

=) We'll se what happens, perhaps my house is on fire tomorrow.

If you've got sufficient RAM in a workstation, consider one of the virtualization products like VMware or Virtualbox. Many of us use these type of products for testing software.

I will try to find something but don't have it right now.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I joke that calling is friendly and useful is a terrible thing. I've been told by a few people that the ones that include users that are the most technically-savvy also have the most flame-bait of them all. I'd find that this forum is pretty true to that. You come here with a question, expect an appropriate answer that is correct (at least most of the time). What we don't do is sugar coat things. If your hardware is inappropriate (No, that iphone won't boot FreeNAS) then expect us to call you out on it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you love your FreeNAS but when/if you have a question, please post your system configuration or better yet, make it part of your tag line. It will certainly save time if it is something that needs to be considered. If you ask what I'd consider a Lazy Question (something that a quick Google search would find) then some folks might be irritated at that. Always do a Google search, you might be surprised what comes up.

A test machine doesn't need ECC RAM, and as gpsguy said, Virtual Machine. There are free VM applications which work very well. I prefer VMWare Workstation (not free) or VMWare Player (free). Others like Virtualbox. If you have 8GB of RAM in your machine then you can run these applications bt more RAM is better of course. And then again, you can use virtually any unused PC that has 8GB RAM, a single hard drive and a USB Flash drive to run FreeNAS for testing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.