An entitled forum user's FIRST post on here. Who does he think he is?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
That is adorable! :grin:

Wait. Back in 2014, 8 GiB of RAM was considered the low end for a home NAS server? Looks like some things didn't really change since then. :wink: (To think we used to save family photos on Windows boxes with 2 GiB, or less, of RAM!)
Less so the quantity and moreso the quality, it was DDR2 which was rather vintage already at that point and had relatively lackluster performance due to the front-side-bus design of that era; but it still managed to saturate a gigabit.

:eek: apparently I registered simply to say thank you........

Arwen

MVP
That is adorable! :grin:

Wait. Back in 2014, 8 GiB of RAM was considered the low end for a home NAS server? Looks like some things didn't really change since then. :wink: (To think we used to save family photos on Windows boxes with 2 GiB, or less, of RAM!)

Less so the quantity and moreso the quality, it was DDR2 which was rather vintage already at that point and had relatively lackluster performance due to the front-side-bus design of that era; but it still managed to saturate a gigabit.
If I remember the issue with 8GBs of RAM, is that with 4GB to 6GB FreeNAS 9.x was not quite stable. A simple bump up to 8GBs of RAM solved that problem. I don't remember the forum user that made the correlation, nor why 8GBs was considered the minimum. But, I am sure someone could do the archeology work and find out.

As for DDR2, you must mean Intel. I had a nice Sun Microsystems x64 server, (X2200 M2), with dual, quad core AMD Opterons that used CPU side DDR2 memory interfaces. (If I recall correctly... AMD moved CPUs to direct memory interfaces before Intel.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(If I recall correctly... AMD moved CPUs to direct memory interfaces before Intel.)
Yeah, Intel was very late. Core 2 was massively handicapped by the FSB, which is why Nehalem was such a winner - it wasn't that much faster, but the integrated memory controller and faster I/O made a big difference.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If I remember the issue with 8GBs of RAM, is that with 4GB to 6GB FreeNAS 9.x was not quite stable. A simple bump up to 8GBs of RAM solved that problem. I don't remember the forum user that made the correlation, nor why 8GBs was considered the minimum. But, I am sure someone could do the archeology work and find out.

As for DDR2, you must mean Intel. I had a nice Sun Microsystems x64 server, (X2200 M2), with dual, quad core AMD Opterons that used CPU side DDR2 memory interfaces. (If I recall correctly... AMD moved CPUs to direct memory interfaces before Intel.)
That would likely be @jgreco ... "And the Grinch's small RAM grew three sizes that day"