ElephantDrive plugin for 9.3 not backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

russman

Dabbler
I'm a newbie and this is my first post so if I say something incorrectly, I apologize beforehand.
I have a physical server that was vacated when we virtualized our Windows server in December of 2014. Around March of 2015, I decided to use the old physical machine for a backup server/file server. A friend told me about FreeNAS and I successfully installed it. The server has two Xeon E5520 processors, 48 gig of ram, and 4 3tb red WD NAS drives set up for raid 10. Everything has and is working just fine. I wanted an off-site backup but most of the common or large providers aren't compatible with FreeNAS. I found out about ElephantDrive through this forum and they tried to load their software remotely but when it wouldn't work, they said they were tested on 9.1 but not 9.3 which is what I have. They said that they were working on a plugin for 9.3 and would let me know when it was available. Fast forward to last week or so and they said it was available and provided a download link. It successfully created the jail and the plugin status shows on. I created an account at ElephantDrive and created a backup job. Everything seems to be installed correctly but it doesn't actually back up anything. ElephantDrive shows the status as monitoring. The log file from the ElephantDrive plugin in FreeNAS shows backup scan complete, switched to monitoring.

My question is with the setup in the ElephantDrive path to backup. Now, here's where I may seem like an idiot. The path in my CIFS share is mnt/Storage/File_Server. If I put that into the backup, I get an error from the log file from the ElephantDrive plugin in FreeNAS that says:

"2016-05-31 13:18:53 | INFO | Backup configuration changes detected
2016-05-31 13:18:53 | INFO | Backup configuration reloaded
2016-05-31 13:18:58 | INFO | Starting backup task 'Test Backup 5-26-16' ...
2016-05-31 13:18:58 | ERROR | Starting location missing /mnt/Storage/File_Server
2016-05-31 13:18:58 | INFO | Backup task 'Test Backup 5-26-16' scan complete. Switched to monitoring".

I have reached out to the customer service person at ElephantDrive (who has been wonderfully helpful by the way) and he said that he thought that I just needed to put "/File_Server" in the path. I tried that and that didn't work either. He said that he was going to talk to his engineers and get back to me. I thought that I would reach out to you all and see if you might have some suggestions. Maybe I'm just putting the wrong path in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Have you added the mount point for the dataset to your jail in the GUI?

russman

Dabbler
Jailer,

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not. I looked at the FreeNAS documentation and the only thing that I could find was adding storage to a jail. Is this what you mean? If not, could you explain what needs to happen?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes add storage to your jail. You have to mount the dataset that contains your data to your jail for your program to be able to "see" it otherwise all it will have access to is the directories in your jail.

In your case as you've described above your source would be mnt/Storage/File_Server and the destination would be /mnt. Then in the Elephant drive setting browse to /mnt and you should be able to find your files from there.

russman

Dabbler
I checked this forum before I checked my email and the support person (Daniel) from ElephantDrive had replied and said the same thing that you did. He gave me instructions and I followed them and it seems to be backing up, woohoo!

Thanks for taking the time.

If ElephantDrive is anything like Daniel, that's where I want my business to go. He is prompt, polite and never condescending and very helpful.

Thanks Daniel also.

Status
Not open for further replies.