An entitled forum user's FIRST post on here. Who does he think he is?

This user's very first post on the TrueNAS forum checks off all the boxes of someone who brings nothing but headaches to everyone:
  • Doesn't join the forums until after he has a problem. (Oh, so NOW you want to create an account? Just to complain?) :rolleyes:
  • Didn't post in the "Introductions" thread to introduce himself.
  • For his very first post, he writes up a lengthy, confusing reply. (Keep it concise and just get to the point!) o_O :mad:
  • His post is mostly negative and "nag, nag, nag". (What a way to make a first impression with the community...)

I don't like to single people out, but I just had to with this guy. He rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

(In case you didn't get it, this is an invitation for others to share their very first posts on this forum. It's actually kind of fun to go back in time to meet yourself.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
GELI Password management? Fun times, except for those seeking help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I registered to provide what today would be a resource.

Going to pat my own back, now :cool:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Aww, look at the adorable little cheap machine this guy built.

That is adorable! :grin:

@HoneyBadger said:
Personal notes: I'm aware the 8GB of RAM sucks
Wait. Back in 2014, 8 GiB of RAM was considered the low end for a home NAS server? Looks like some things didn't really change since then. :wink: (To think we used to save family photos on Windows boxes with 2 GiB, or less, of RAM!)

Arwen

MVP
I joined so I could post a question. Been reading for 6 months prior to joining in.
I got a perfectly reasonable answer.

Later, I realized what really happened with my so called 2 disk, identical block failure:
  1. A disk went completely bad
  2. A block, (or blocks), on the other disk in the Mirror went bad, (or was already bad), but not noticed
  3. A coworker replaced the fully bad disk, and the replacement re-silvered fine, except for the bad block(s)
  4. The coworker did not remove the bad language file, and restore the file, nor clear the error(s)
  5. I join in the mess not knowing the above, and assuming same disk block failed on both drives
Root cause was that our physical Solaris 10 servers did not have scheduled scrubs. Easy fix.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So... Any way of doing this without spending an afternoon going between "show more" and "next page"?

Use your "Joined" date (which is under your avatar). Then do an “advanced” search for posts before that day+1. (Sort by date and leave the search field blank.)

first-post-search.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
So... Any way of doing this without spending an afternoon going between "show more" and "next page"?
Well, you can use a "date before" restriction on your search to narrow it down, but I don't see that you can sort by date, oldest-first. Looks like this is mine:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Use your "Joined" date (which is under your avatar). Then do an “advanced” search for posts before that day+1. (Sort by date and leave the search field blank.)

View attachment 75255
That doesn't work if you registered well before posting something... Back in the day, full-resolution images were only shown to registered users (the bizarre XenForo default setting).

@danb35 said:
My existing server is running 0.7.2.6694 on a scavenged laptop with 512 MB RAM and a 1TB USB hard drive, booting from a small USB key.

It's uncanny how close this meme is to your original post, even down to the "crappy old laptop". Did you decide to stick with UFS or try out this new fancy smancy "ZFS" thingy? :wink:

danb35

Hall of Famer
That doesn't work if you registered well before posting something.
So bracket it a bit. Try before December 2015. If that gets tons of hits, try before June 2015. And so on. A little tedious, but I'd think less so than paging through hundreds if not thousands of hits.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you decide to stick with UFS or try out this new fancy smancy "ZFS" thingy?
Well, less than a year later I was wanting to replace a drive in my pool, so...

Back in the day, full-resolution images were only shown to registered users (the bizarre XenForo default setting).
Ooof! I guess you might have to do some rough "binary" search, starting with a ballpark date. From that date, if you have no results, bump it up by several months. If you get results, then back it down by a couple months, etc.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It wasn't too terrible, but I feel the post was not worth the effort. Surely in almost 20 000 of them, at least 1 000 have to be more interesting than that one.

Surely in almost 20 000 of them, at least 1 000 have to be more interesting than that one.

* Moments later: Comes up with a list of 20,000 posts that all basically say "Yeah that should work".