I have no option to Offline Disk, Only Replace - what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren Jenkins

Dabbler
Hi.

It appears I have a failed drive. I have scoured the net to find a proper procedure to replace it and the closest I can get is from this link:
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#Replacing_a_Failed_Drive
However, it says to 'Offline' the disk by going to Storage → Volumes → View Volumes → Volume Status, finding the disk and clicking 'OFFLINE'. I do not have that option on the failed drive, just an option to 'REPLACE'. This may seem trivial, but I want to get it right. The other disks that are fine do have the 'OFFLINE' option so wondering what the difference is and how to do this successfully. Also not sure what type of drive is in the machine and won't until I shut it down. What would be the best way please to replace this disk?

We are using FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)

Thanks.
Woz.

Attachments

• zpool.jpg
    zpool.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 209

warri

Guru
I think an unavailable drive can not be offlined anymore. Just go ahead and replace it.
Also you should upgrade to a more recent version like 8.3.1 or 9.1.

Warren Jenkins

Dabbler
Hi Warri.

Thanks. I didn't know if it meant I would need to do something on the command line or not - do you?

Also, upgrading would mean I could not go back if there was a problem. I kind of inherited this setup and am no expert with it so am a bit tentative. I'd still like to know first if I would need to use any command via the command line with this dead disk though.

Thanks.

Warren Jenkins

Dabbler
OK so what happened was, started to get a ton of error messages about files not being able to be saved. I rebooted the NAS a couple of times, but to no avail. I took the NAS down again, built a new OS onto another USB, booted it up, imported backed up config file and rebooted and all is fine now. I'm guessing somewhere on the USB drive (4Gb) had filled up and this stopped the errors and somehow made the disk back online?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.