I don't understand Jails storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
SOLVED, see post #10:

Hi. I have successfully installed and ran BTSync and SABnzbd plugins on 9.2.1.3. I simply don't understand Jails storage though! Here is my BTSync storage setup. Here is my SABnzbd storage setup.

I believe I have properly set up the storage. However, whenever I sync a folder with BTSync, the files do not end up in
/mnt/dvgmar/downloads ...I find them in
/mnt/dvgmar/jails/btsync_1/media

SABnzbd is even worse! Downloads don't go to
/mnt/dvgmar/downloads/TV ...they go to
/mnt/dvgmar/jails/sabnzbd_1/TV

What gives? Why aren't my files going to their Source directory in /mnt/dvgmar/downloads? Why are they going to the jails folder?

Yatti420

Wizard

diedrichg

Wizard
So what's the point of setting the Source outside the jail if it just stores the data inside the jail?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you point btsync to your destination directory

diedrichg

Wizard
BTSync only showed the directories in the jail.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It should be able to see the path that is the destination in the jail

diedrichg

Wizard

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Go to your btsync jail and "cd /media" that will then show you all your content from your zfs volume. When talking about destination it is the location in the jail where the source gets mounted and is readable and writable.

diedrichg

Wizard
*sigh the saga continues... (So much thanks to all who have put in their input! I appreciate it.)

Here is a listing of my BTSync jail. As you can see from my previous screenshots - Source is outside the jail in its own dataset and destination is /media but when in the shell, there are no visible folders - of which there should be at least 3 folders, TV, Movies and Torrents.

I'm about at the point where I'm going to wipe the USB drive and start with a fresh FreeNAS image and just rebuild my volume (I need to move from RaidZ1 to RaidZ2 anyways with 4 drives in the volume). Something, somewhere, may have been borked and for some reason my jails destination does not see nor link to the source. And yes, I've tried deleting all jails and the jails dataset and things are still not functioning as they should.

diedrichg

Wizard
Solved: Lee in IRC was able to help me diagnose that I didn't have the source storage set to "mount". I never understood that setting and none of the tutorials ever mentioned that mount needed to be set to access a dataset that is outside the jail. So glad I got that figured out!

Fwiw, the mount option is not in the gui on the right side, you can only find this option in jails>{your jail}>Storage in the left menu tree.

Yatti420

Wizard
I was away for awhile glad you got it sorted.. Don't use spaces/caps/funny characters etc (try to purge them from existing data etc).. As sometimes you can cause the storage point to not actually "mount" etc..

panz

Guru
Solved: Lee in IRC was able to help me diagnose that I didn't have the source storage set to "mount".

Sorry, I didn't see the message you left in my profile, so I couldn't read this thread. :)

diedrichg

Wizard
One last question and then I'll stop beating this horse.

If you set a dataset as a storage source, why do the files exist both in the dataset as well as within the destination folder inside the jail? It was my assumption that if you set a storage source that the files would be stored only there. I thought of the source/destination settings as some sort of symbolic link process. Obviously this is incorrect. So why do the files exist in both the dataset as well as the jail? That's just using double the amount of space on my server.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Umm.. it *is* a symbolic link(aka pointer). It's *supposed* to look like the data is in two places. But it's really not. That's why this warning is in the manual...

DANGER! it is important to realize that an added storage is really just a pointer to the selected storage directory on the FreeNAS® system. It does not create a copy of that data within the jail. This means that if you delete any files from the "Destination" directory located in the jail, you are really deleting those files from the "Source" directory located on the FreeNAS® system. However, if you delete the storage, you are only deleting the pointer, not the data itself.

If you are convinced it's in two places, delete one of them.. you'll find yourself very sad when you deleted your entire Movie collection because it was taking up too much space. ;)

diedrichg

Wizard
Excellent, sorry I missed that. I was just getting confused because while in the jail shell I still saw the files so that's why I was making the assumption that they existed in two places. Thank you sir, the horse is now sufficiently dead!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. Believe me, we've seen *dozens* of people delete 20+TB of movies, TV shows, and music before they realize what they had done. Then they are really upset when they find out there is no "undelete" for ZFS. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.