HP Servers worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaveli6103

Contributor
I found these on craigstlist. Are they even worth it to run freenas? I am looking to upgrade to server components and thought I would look around first.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, based on zero information of what generation, what the hardware specs are, or really any relevant information at all, it is kind of like asking 'Are Porsches worth it?'.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sorry, the forum software is horribad. Unless you actually hover over words, you can't tell if they are links or not. Stupid stupid design

Personally I wouldnt get anything less than a Gen6 at this point. Gen4 is stretching it, and anything less than that is not worth it at all. These listed are all old systems, and likely not worth the electricity to run them. You certainly wouldnt want to run FreeNAS on them with no proper backplanes

Makaveli6103

Contributor
Sorry, the forum software is horribad. Unless you actually hover over words, you can't tell if they are links or not. Stupid stupid design

Personally I wouldnt get anything less than a Gen6 at this point. Gen4 is stretching it, and anything less than that is not worth it at all. These listed are all old systems, and likely not worth the electricity to run them. You certainly wouldnt want to run FreeNAS on them with no proper backplanes

Ok thanks. I might just get new components and try to sell what I have. Thanks

Richman

Patron

Actually the forum software isn't that bad and there are many others, more than half or more that are a lot worse. You can add links an many different ways and there are formatting tools to change the highlight color so that they can't be missed. So in actuality, its not the forum software that is bad that some want to complain about, it the user doing the complaining that doesn't know how to use it properly.
I found these on craigstlist. Are they even worth it to run freenas? I am looking to upgrade to server components and thought I would look around first.

This HP is actually dated or antiquated. There is a newer 480 or something like that, that has SAS and more Drive bays that would do better. But without looking at the specs again and going from memory, I think this one was SCSI and you would need a converter module and cables and that would not be cost effective. Besides, it has 2 drive bays, so you can only do a mirror unless there is room for a HBA card to put in there horizontally.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually the forum software isn't that bad and there are many others, more than half or more that are a lot worse. You can add links an many different ways and there are formatting tools to change the highlight color so that they can't be missed. So in actuality, its not the forum software that is bad that some want to complain about, it the user doing the complaining that doesn't know how to use it properly.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Look at the threads from more than 6-7 months and you'll see that the forum has been trashed with the migration to Xenforo from whatever the old version was.

It is absolutely the forum software that is bad. They released a patch about 2 months ago that has broken my ability to edit posts with Firefox. It's a constant problem us admins deal with every time we come here. If you had a chance to see our admin section you'd notice that 1/2 of our threads(or more) are complaints just about the forum software. The other half about a user named "Richman". :D

Richman

Patron
You have no clue what you are talking about. Look at the threads from more than 6-7 months and you'll see that the forum has been trashed with the migration to Xenforo from whatever the old version was.

It is absolutely the forum software that is bad. They released a patch about 2 months ago that has broken my ability to edit posts with Firefox. It's a constant problem us admins deal with every time we come here. If you had a chance to see our admin section you'd notice that 1/2 of our threads(or more) are complaints just about the forum software. The other half about a user named "Richman". :D

OK, now be clear that I wasn't making any reference to what this forum software was BEFORE, since I am a NEW USER, and havn't used it BEFORE, nor do I have any frame of reference on what ADMINS have to go through, gripes they have editing or how many baby seals they club to death or anything like that since I don't use the ADMIN SECTION. I was only commenting on the fact that I HAVE IN FACT participated in many dozen or probably a hundred forums, and this is NOT THE WORST experience I have had to deal with.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, please consult your attorney before taking any advice from maddog admins, warranty subject to local laws of quantum physics and quantum entanglement or your current membership status in MENSA

PS
They released a patch about 2 months ago that has broken my ability to edit posts with Firefox.
Isn't this Linux Lovers coutry and shouldn't you be using something like Konqueror or something?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is Firefox for Linux. Been using it for a long time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Dusan

Guru
They released a patch about 2 months ago that has broken my ability to edit posts with Firefox.
You are aware that there is a workaround for this? When you click Edit and that empty/unusable window pops up just click More Options.... You can now edit, even in Firefox ;).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, except I refuse to be trained to do a convoluted way of editing posts because the forum software is crap. Just like I could easily use a different browser to solve the problem, but I refuse to use a different browser because I shouldn't have to change my habits as a forum volunteer.

Richman

Patron
am
Yes, except I refuse to be trained to do a convoluted way of editing posts because the forum software is crap. Just like I could easily use a different browser to solve the problem, but I refuse to use a different browser because I shouldn't have to change my habits as a forum volunteer.
I use 4-5 different browsers. I must me ambibrowserdextrous.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No. I'm just not going to put forth effort on something I volunteer for. If this was a job and I was told to use internet explorer I would use it. But as a volunteer I have limits to my GAF factor.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.