Reuse older servers - suggestion recommendation

DAXQ

Contributor
I am thinking running this way, without the ROM - I also wont be able to use any of the drives as a "boot" drive, or configure separate group[s of drive - would need to use FreeNAS and pools - which for running FreeNAS wouldn't be a bad thing, just put all SAS drives in there and boot off mirrored USB drives and roll. Would not having the ROM also be why there are no drive lights?

blueether

Patron
Don't know about the drive lights, both of my x3650 m3 the lights work, both with the m1015. one with the boot rom and one with out.

Booting is faster without the boot rom so that is a plus. I've just ordered a dvd to 2.5" ssd converter to try so I can boot off of ssd and not usb.

DAXQ

Contributor
Seems to be working fine, created pools - the lights are dim, but seem operational. HOT swap seems ok, able to pull out and back in with out issue - gonna do some more testing and blow the dust out of it!

Thanks to all of you for your input and assistance!

DAXQ

Contributor
Everything has been running great for a week or so, kinda concerned about the USB boot drive and considering adding PCIe to ssd card with some mirrored ssd or even small mechanical drives. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just mirror the USB and call it done?

DAXQ

Contributor
BlueEther, did you ever get the SSD going off the CD\DVD connector? Hate to keep pestering you guys, your advise has been spot on and the server is running great - my only issue is that I cannot seem to use the Cage (the 16 bays) to boot off of while using this set up (which is a bummer because I am not using all 16 bays), so I have been trying to figure out a way to drop the USB and get an SSD in there - Tried using a PCIe to MSata card - apparently this IBM server has an issue booting off the ROM - lets me install but wont boot and it doesn't work. I can get a PCIe to Sata3.0 controller but then I run into power issues (can't seem to find any available 5 volts on the MB - there is a 12v 6 pin video connector, but cant find anything less). So wondering if removing the DVD as BlueEther mentioned worked, its cables look proprietary or different - any other thoughts or suggestions?

DAXQ

Contributor
8179BzWEKCL._SL1500_.jpg

Thinking this is the huckleberry!

blueether

Patron
I've not tried booting off the dvd to ssd adaptor that I got, i've just been using it as storage for a VM in esxi but I could try

DAXQ

Contributor
That cable above worked fine, had to install off USB rather than DVD but aside from that ive seen no issues.