Reuse older servers - suggestion recommendation

DAXQ

Contributor
I have two very nice identical sister servers - IBM System X3650 M3's - they have dual Xeon E5620@2.40GHz CPUs, 24G Ram, 6 nic ports and a 16 bay SAS/SATA drive cage with a LSI M5015 raid controller. I think these servers would make great FreeNAS servers if not for the M5015 controller card. I do NOT want to flash jangle flip bebop some kind of thing on the raid card for this server - I am wondering if there is a possible drop in replacement Raid controller card I could use to make this server FreeNAS compatible? If the cost is crazy high, it still might be worth with it with the identical servers and spare parts on hand. About to have two more that I think are in the same boat and would like to see if I can make use of these servers rather than recycling them.

I do NOT want to flash jangle flip bebop some kind of thing on the raid card for this server - I am wondering if there is a possible drop in replacement Raid controller card I could use to make this server FreeNAS compatible?
Out of curiosity, why don't you want to flash that card? Is it especially difficult to do so? Do you plan to use the card for something else or sell it?

From IBM/Lenovo's product guide it looks like several models of that server come with an M1015. I imagine you could pick up an M1015 if you didn't want to flash that other card?

DAXQ

Contributor
Lots of mixed info out there - some saying it works without issue, some failing, rather than flashing was hoping there might be a HBA that I can just plug into this Cage and be off rather than messing with the flash. If I consistently read that flashing worked, it would have been different. Even then, making a card think its something else seems like it could be an issue - and if possible seemed like a thing to avoid.

Thanks for the input - ill check it out.

DAXQ

Contributor
The M1015 would also need to be flashed as well wouldn't it?

blueether

Patron
I have to of those servers and they work well for my needs (as a home server), they both have the m1015 cards in that I've flashed to IT mode (very easy - just dont try in the server use an old desktop as it's much easier)

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
The question is: which card do you have in your system? An M1015? Or an M5015?

The M1015 is an HBA which can be flashed to IT mode and is very well supported by FreeBSD and commonly used in FreeNAS systems. I own one myself...

The M5015 is a RAID card and you will not want to use it in a FreeNAS server.

DAXQ

Contributor
I have the M5015 - and was hoping to find what ever card will work with the 16 bay cage I have. The M5015 flashed or not, I am finding will NOT do JBOD or HBA.

So still same question, Anyone know of a card that will work with this system and the 16 bay cage to replace the M5015 preferably with out having to jump through some kind of flash or crossflash.

blueether

Patron
the m1015 will work (easy to flash to IT mode), but you will need an sas expander, I have a IBM 46M0997 I think

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
So still same question, Anyone know of a card that will work with this system and the 16 bay cage to replace the M5015 preferably with out having to jump through some kind of flash or crossflash.
Flashing/crossflashing isn't the scary process it sounds like; the M1015 and similar cards are actually very well understood and the process is quite well documented. Considering all of the gear in question is definitely well outside the warranty period at this point, I'd bite the bullet and go for it (although I would do the flash in a desktop machine as suggested by @blueether - the process involves a few reboots, and no one likes waiting a few minutes for a server to POST)

Your other option would be to buy an actual LSI-branded HBA, but that would be significantly more costly (don't trust the eBay or Amazon marketplace ones, they're almost always fake or third-shift cards that are far worse than a genuine-but-used OEM card)

DAXQ

Contributor
I did actually flash the M50515 - after reading posts above, I figured screw it - cant be any more messed up that it is - and after figuring out a way to create a DOS USB boot disk, getting the correct files (utilities and firm wares) on there, and trying to find an old PC with the correct slot (couldn't find a desktop - had to use the server, just disconnected all the bays and waited out the age long boot) - it flashed just fine. And I now have a M5015 with the latest LSI Firmware that still does not do JBOD! If I weren't bald - would be pulling my hair out.

If I do go looking for the M1015 to flash (since I already have a DOS boot USB ;) is there a particular model that I need to look for that can control my 16 bays via the same cables? Or would I possibly be getting into another nest of mess?

DAXQ

Contributor
the m1015 will work (easy to flash to IT mode), but you will need an sas expander, I have a IBM 46M0997 I think

So the M1015 will only handle 8 bays or something and I would need to add an SAS expander to get to the other 8 - is that correct?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
So the M1015 will only handle 8 bays or something and I would need to add an SAS expander to get to the other 8 - is that correct?
That's correct.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
If I do go looking for the M1015 to flash (since I already have a DOS boot USB ;) is there a particular model that I need to look for that can control my 16 bays via the same cables? Or would I possibly be getting into another nest of mess?
Assuming your M5015 is currently using only two SFF-8087 cables to connect to the drive backplane, that would mean there's an expander build into the backplane and an M1015 or similar flashed HBA can be swapped in directly, using the same cables.

blueether

Patron

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The sas expander is the least of the costs ~$15 US
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=IBM+46M0997+&_sacat=0
and a m1015 for about $30 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=IBM+m1015

I don't think the backplates in my 2 x3650 m3 have builtin expanders (that's why I bought one) but I'll look tonight

@DAXQ You only have two SFF 8087 cables to the 16 drive bays?
If they don't have expanders how are the 16 slots hooked up originally? However it's setup now will be the same with the new hba.

blueether

Patron
If they don't have expanders how are the 16 slots hooked up originally? However it's setup now will be the same with the new hba.
My two only had single backplates (x8 sas drives) and the m1015 with two SFF 8087 to that backplate.

I brought an extra backplate for one and an expander to o with it

DAXQ

Contributor
Assuming your M5015 is currently using only two SFF-8087 cables to connect to the drive backplane, that would mean there's an expander build into the backplane and an M1015 or similar flashed HBA can be swapped in directly, using the same cables.

The M5015 has two ports and two cables going to what looks like it might be an expanders then all 16 2.5 bays - which are active/working. There is a small add on card - that appears to have a smaller cable going to a battery backup for the M5015.

DAXQ

Contributor
The sas expander is the least of the costs ~$15 US
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=IBM+46M0997+&_sacat=0
and a m1015 for about $30 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=IBM+m1015

I don't think the backplates in my 2 x3650 m3 have builtin expanders (that's why I bought one) but I'll look tonight

@DAXQ You only have two SFF 8087 cables to the 16 drive bays?

There are two cables going to an expander or controller for the backplane - I can get a pic when I get back to work.

DAXQ

Contributor
Here is the back plane:
IMG_20190711_122511.jpg

And the Expander/back controller:
IMG_20190711_122442.jpg

This Connects to the M5015 via those two white made in china cables in the lower right of the image.

So its sounding like I should try and find an M1015 to flash and drop in there - see whats what!

tfran1990

Patron
To me it looks like you already have the expander.... can you look and see any of the details of that card with the 4 outputs?