Howdy, Ladies and Gentlemen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Evans

Cadet
Not really new to Freenas and storage.. but new to this forum.
The reason I joined is because the last Freenas implementation I ran for ~560 days continuously... and really, that is awesome. Even tho I support Windows based implementations for a living, I like the stability of Linux. I've been playing with Raspberry Pis for a number of years, using them to acquire temperature data around the house, and over the past few months working with home automation "stuff".

All this said... my Freenas storage started to report a (2 TB) drive with a bunch of read/write errors. So, I thought, no big deal.. get a new drive and replace it... right?
Well, much to my disappointment, this didn't go so well... The new drive didn't seem to want to "Replace" the old one, even after following known techniques to do so.
Bottom line, rebuilt the whole damn thing with a better MB, 32 G RAM, 5 Ethernet ports (1 for WEB GUI mgt), 4 new 3TB drives and using 4 of the older 2 TB drives.
Currently trying to find the best practice to set this kind of configuration up. 4 sets of mirrrors... one big ZVOL? Not sure. there appears to be contradicting info "out there" as to the best way to set things up for storage to host Hyper-v storage.
Nice to be here :)
And thanks for this community!!
Hopefully I can find the answers to getting this to work flawlessly for another 560 days... OR more!! ;)
Todd

Stux

MVP
What to you want to use the storage for?

kdragon75

Wizard
I like the stability of Linux.
FreeBSD is not Linux, based on Linux or in any way derivative of Linux. It has more in common with Mac OS X than Linux. Infact Mac OS X was based on FreeBSD the base for FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.