Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdt

Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Decided to join up to this forum as I'm about to make a FreeNAS build for home use.

It's something I've been meaning to do for some time now, but kept getting put off as I was never really happy with the case available (which is actually quite limited in Australia unless you want to throw big bucks at it), this was until I discovered the Silverstone DS380 case recently when I was costing up the build for my partners new gaming PC.

Currently I run an old ReadyNAS NV+ which currently has about 5 terabytes capacity. Capacity at the moment isn't an issue for this old NAS, but the speed and the fact that I stopped doing backups due to the slow nature of using USB1.1 and multiple usb drives on the device means that I have had my data at risk for some time now. (Yes I should hang my head in shame for not doing backups and yes I should know better as I do work in IT industry).

Not to long ago I encountered a problem on the old ReadyNAS when one of the drives started failing but it wasn't being reported in the SMART software, so when I tried to copy files from the NAS, the NAS would hang because of the drive. While I managed to rectify the problem, it did highlight to me that it's about time I build a decent performing NAS with better integrity, hence why I'm looking to build a FreeNAS machine.

I have already played with Nas4Free last year on some older hardware, but have decided from my reading and my friends experience that FreeNAS is the route I want to go.

Cheers,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.