Howdy from a gun nut / rocketeer / storage / network / solaris engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
I'm Lyle a tech support engineer for a company that makes FC cards, FCoE cards, iSCSI cards and 10 gig ethernet cards. That all and some FC switches. A little sleuthing and you'll be able to figure out which company that is.

So I'm really tired of dealing with all this high end stuff at work and having a poor performing NAS drive here at home so I'm deploying freenas on a dual core HP box with 4 gigs of ram.

At the moment I have the freenas OS on a 4 gig thumbdrive. But I'll be using a 2 gig micro SD card placed in the system's front panel media panel, provided the uSD card is faster than the thumb drive.

I've got the following off of the SATA ports of this box:
pair of 15k RPM raptors :)
1TB drive
2 TB drive

Then off of USB I have a 1TB drive and will be adding a 2TB USB drive once I've migrated some data around. The plan is to have the raptors striped. Those will be for smaller files. I'll replicate the raptor filesystem to the mirrored 2TB (gzip -9 zfs property) for redundancy. Then the two 1 TB drives will be striped and also replicated to the 2TB mirrored drives.

The host has the onboard ethernet (nfe driver), a broadcom PCI-X NIC (bge driver) and some other PCI-E x1 GigE nic (msk driver).

I'm just about to start benchmarking the subsystems of the host before placing data on it.
Where in the forums should I place my benchmarking suggestions and results?

Lyle

ProtoSD

MVP
Hello Lyle,

Welcome to the FreeNAS 8 forum.

I'm just about to start benchmarking the subsystems of the host before placing data on it.
Where in the forums should I place my benchmarking suggestions and results?

http://forums.freenas.org/forumdisplay.php?24-Resources

This is the proper section, although it doesn't get utilized as much as it should for that.

I also wanted to comment on what you said here:

But I'll be using a 2 gig micro SD card placed in the system's front panel media panel, provided the uSD card is faster than the thumb drive.

Speed really doesn't come into play here much because the flash drives are only used for booting and storing log files unless you setup a syslog server. After FreeNAS boots, it runs off of 3 RAM disks.

Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the Unofficial FAQ in my signature below, there is lots of useful info even for non-noobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.