How To - Use TrueNAS as rsync Backup Destination for Synology Hyper Backup

EpicLPer

Cadet
After a long, many-hours-battle and countless searches on Google of trying to figure out how to sync Synology Hyper Backup to TrueNAS (without using the soon to be deprecated rsync, WebDAV or S3 Services) I'll write a little guide down here, in case someone else also needs this in the future.

I'm mainly creating this How To so other TrueNAS beginners (and potentially rsync beginners like me too :wink:) can easily figure out how to set things up! Improvements are welcome and will be reflected here.

• On TrueNAS:
    1. Go to "System Settings" > "Services" and enable "SSH" (+ Austostart checkbox)
    2. Create a new Dataset where Hyper Backup should store all its tasks (standard settings seem to be fine)
    3. Go to "Credentials" > "Local Users" > "Add" and create a new user
      1. Allow SSH by changing the "Shell" drop down to "bash"
      2. Set the Home Directory to the previously created Dataset (DO NOT enable "Create Home Directory" tho!)
      3. Save and confirm the Home Directory popup, check that the owner and group of the Dataset is now set to your newly user
  • On Synology:
    1. Open Hyper Backup and create a new task
    2. In the Destination settings choose "rsync" (NOT single-version)
    3. Change the following settings:
      • Server type: rsync-compatible server
      • Server name: Your TrueNAS IP/Hostname
      • Transfer encryption: On
      • Port: 22
      • Username: The username you previously created
      • Password: The password you previously created
      • Backup module: Full mount path of your Dataset (for me this would be: /mnt/pool_4x12/Backups/RSync_DS916HyperBackup)
        • Don't get confused here! If you click on the arrow your Synology will throw an error ala "couldn't connect", this isn't true and can just be ignored.
      • Directory: The remote directory Hyper Backup will create inside the Dataset
    4. Once done click "Next" and configure everything else to your needs.
synology_hyperbackup_truenas.png

That's it! Once you're done configuring the rest of your Hyper Backup settings simply run the task and watch your backups fly across to your TrueNAS :cool:

badmannen

Cadet
thanks a million, right to the point and exactly what I needed for my dying DS414 =D ( About time to bring my old NAS to the grave after this )

jst68

Cadet
I just tried this, but it failed on the Synology with "No response from the destination server. Please check your network status an try again later."

I have double checked the TrueNAS IP entered, but it is correct?

Any idea what could be wrong?

I am excited to try this!

badmannen

Cadet
I just tried this, but it failed on the Synology with "No response from the destination server. Please check your network status an try again later."

I have double checked the TrueNAS IP entered, but it is correct?

Any idea what could be wrong?

I am excited to try this!
if you provide some screenshots or something to see your network setup or some more info then I can give it a try to help you out

jst68

Cadet
Here is my hyper backup share on TrueNAS.
1699485759192.png

1699486157474.png

And Hyper Backup on Synology.

1699486274418.png

Once I press "Next", it fails with the following error.
1699486477639.png

Any help is appreciated. I have already double checked the IP. Firewall on Synology is off.

gatsdbylee

Cadet
yes. I also have the same problem @jst68 has.
not able to connect to the host.
I tried to ssh from synology to truenas to see if the truenas is reachable from synology. And it is reachable.

however, somehow, synology kept showing this error msg.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 10.27.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 10.27.24 PM.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 184

gatsdbylee

Cadet
yes. I also have the same problem @jst68 has.
not able to connect to the host.
I tried to ssh from synology to truenas to see if the truenas is reachable from synology. And it is reachable.

however, somehow, synology kept showing this error msg.
well. nvm. I forgot to set the block module by myself.