How to convert rsync tasks from module to SSH mode

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Since rsync module tasks are being eliminated in Cohiba, the next version of Scale due out later this year, I recently converted all my rsync tasks to SSH mode. This is for rsync tasks between my Truenas Scale installation and a remote host running Linux (Mint distro, but it should be almost the same for other distros).

It wasn't particularly difficult. Here is how I did it, since I've seen people in other threads asking about this:

(1) make sure that SSH-server (not merely client) is installed on the remote (non-Truenas) host; (2) on Scale, under “Credentials,” “Backup Credentials,” “SSH Keypairs,” generate an SSH keypair and download the public key; (3) On the remote system, in the user home folder under the ".SSH" folder which was hidden in my distro (Mint), place the public key file and rename it "authorized_keys"; (4) On Scale, under “Credentials,” “Backup Credentials,” “SSH Connection,” create a new connection to the remote host and specify the keypair that was previously created; (5) create the rsync task, specifying “SSH” mode, and for “connect using,” choose “SSH connection from the keychain” and specify the connection to the remote host that was set up in the previous step.

One tip: in the final step, when initially creating the rsync task, you may wish to uncheck "Validate Remote Path" and save. That way, if there is any problem with how you set things up, you'll still have the task saved. If you leave it checked, it will refuse to save if there are any problems with your SSH setup. Once it's saved, you can troubleshoot. Eventually, however, you will need to check this box and save.