How to update (nic) driver in TrueNAS

UserSN

Dabbler
I'm having an issue where my TrueNAS box is not getting gigabit speeds, it's stuck at 10/100.
I've tried changing the settings in shell directly but doing so kills the connection and I no longer see the machine.
1603988833102.png

I'm thinking I need to update the driver TrueNAS is using to the latest version.
Looking up my motherboard I found the on-board NIC is an Intel 82578DC nic.
I found the FreeBSD driver here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...work-Adapter-Gigabit-Base-Driver-for-FreeBSD-

How can I install it in TrueNAS?

JaimieV

Guru
Have you tried an alternate network cable? It's amazing how they go bad with zero excuse.

UserSN

Dabbler
Hi Jaimie,

Yes I tried different cables & to eliminate cabling as a possibility altogether I ordered 500ft of cat6 and crimped the connectors on myself, I created several cables in this way for other computers to upgrade all my devices from cat5e to cat6 and everyone else is working fine so it cannot be the cable, unless the length of cable I pulled from the box is somehow compromised but being I created 10 other cables I highly doubt that could be the case.

JaimieV

Guru
FreeBSD's Intel drivers have always been gold standard (so far!)...
Worth testing your sockets, since it really does sound like a 'some pair isn't connected' issue.
Swap the switch end of the cable to a known-good socket, and if the switch shows speed by red/yellow LEDs validate that.
If your mobo doesn't have a second socket try a different OS on it - a USB bootable Linux would be the easy option and see if that has issues.

UserSN

Dabbler
Hi Jamie, I swapped the sockets on my router and it move to yellow on the new socket and white to my old socket (different pc)
I also recall right before having installed TrueNAS it was running windows10 with gigabit speeds no problem, so i'm not sure why it's not picking up the correct speeds.

I've posted the same question over on serverfault.com and gotten 1 response but can't make anything of it.

JaimieV

Guru
The Serverfault response is suggesting you enable the appropriate driver, but it already is enabled (by default in FreeNAS) and if it wasn't enabled you wouldn't be getting anything at all.

This is pretty peculiar, I've never known an Intel NIC have driver issues in FreeBSD - or most other OSes for that matter.

Might be worth having a look in the BIOS to see if there are any NIC options there other than "disable"?