Yet another Skylake post ;) i219-v/Wireless 8260 driver help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser411

Dabbler
I bought this motherboard specifically because it had dual intel GbE, however one is the newer i219-v, need help getting the driver loaded. found this feature request but don't understand it's current status. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/12399
and intel has created the driver for it, but seems make and c compiler isn't working or not installed?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17509/Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Base-Driver-for-FreeBSD-

also, I would like to get the wireless card working as well, possibly make it an ad-hoc for direct connection to local media devices. It's an intel 8260.

Thanks for help in advance!!

gpsguy

Support for the i219 is coming in the next SU. I don't when it's scheduled for release.

Fat chance on the wireless card.

Sent from my phone

Laser411

Dabbler
What is SU? and there's no way to force install the driver? I mean, the driver already exists.....

D

dlavigne

there's no way to force install the driver? I mean, the driver already exists.....

Nope. You could do a feature request but it would be closed as FreeNAS does not support wireless.

Laser411

Dabbler
I was referring to the intel i219-v, forcing that driver to load as it's already available for freebsd. I haven't even looked up the wireless yet as that was just more of a pipe dream lol, but would be awesome though seeing as I have the ac5300 from asus . Is there a way to get cc and make working though?

D

dlavigne

No need, the new driver will be available with the next software update which should happen soon. If you're truly impatient, you could run a nightly, but if it's a production box it's better to wait.

Mlovelace

Guru
seems make and c compiler isn't working or not installed?
FreeNAS is an appliance software, not a full freebsd OS. If you must have a specific driver supported then you have to download the freenas source, compile the new kernel to include the driver, then build the custom version of freeNAS. If you choose this path (not recommended) then you have to repeat the process for every release.

Or you can install it on a separate machine, switch the train (update section, switch to nightlies), download, install, then switch to the machine with the 2i19v.

I created a jail the same name as my zpool and it threw errors, but besides that things seem to be working fine. I didn't choose a particular nightly as I just chose the nightly train, but I did it two nights ago (2/25/16).

rogerh

Guru
My completely uninformed guess is that the next update will be in the next couple of weeks.

With the benefit of hindsight, some of the answers would have been clearer had you opened two separate threads for the two drivers. But the answer would be the same, the developers aren't going to include wireless drivers.

Laser411

Dabbler
Thank you for your replies, If it's only going to be a few weeks, I think I'll wait as it is a production box and.don't want to risk data. Thanks for all the info!!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Laser411

Dabbler
Meh, it's had two months of that anyway. I just finally got tired of dealing with a ~110 MB/s transfer rate. Enough that I try to solve the driver issue lol

Status
Not open for further replies.