How to suppress copyright statement when accessing freenas via sshh

Status
Not open for further replies.

greener

Cadet
I'm a noob. Some help, please. I am using Freenas 8.3 and would like to modify ssh login so that the Freenas copyright statement and the user's home directory file listing are suppressed/disabled.

warri

Guru
I think the copyright statement you are talking about is called "message of the day", you can find it in /etc/motd.
If you want to change it, remember to mount your root directory for write access first since it is read only by default. I'm also not sure if changes stick after rebooting the system, just give it a try.

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to allow ssh access and suppress directory listing? The only way I can see that happening is to remove read permissions for the respective user on the home directory. But you might want to re-evaluate why you allow ssh login in the first place, if the users are not allowed to see anything.

EDIT:
Actually, an easier way to get rid of the message is probably to add the following statement to the Extra Options field in your SSH configuration:
Banner /some/path
Of course you should point it to an existing file, e.g. on your data pool. It may be an empty file, then no message should be shown at all. Haven't actually tried if that removes the other motd message, you'll have to try out by yourself. Remember to restart the ssh service after this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.