rsync task via ssh on systems that require password auth

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayback007

Cadet
Hi,

I've been fighting this now for a few days and wondering if it's not possible. So as not to waste too much time listing all attempts let me describe what I need to do and if someone can let me know if it's possible and maybe outline steps needed.

I've got Centos 5 servers that require me to login when accessing the via ssh. I access them using <username>@domain.com. This user has virtually no privileges short of copying files to its own home directory. From there I sudo in as root to do anything.

I've generated keys on the FreeNAS box and got the public key into the authorized_keys file on the remote server. I can ssh into the remote server from the FreeNAS box via the shell but cannot get the rsync task to operate. I either get permission denied when trying it as root or "No RSA host key is known for www2.cvo.insightsnow.com and you have requested strict checking." when trying it is the user I normally login as.

I've found the instructions in the FreeNAS manual but those are bizarre since they refer to two FreeNAS boxes. (Seems like an odd corner case to document but maybe lot's of people do it. Regardless it didn't help). I've searched like crazy for an answer to this so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

To sum up I need to rsync pull via ssh from a remote Centos 5 server that requires me to login.

Thanks,
Jerry

RichR

Explorer
You've got your key backwards.... if your source (of files for rsync) is the CentOS box, and destination is the FreeNAS box, the key should be generated on the Cent box, and placed in .authorized_keys in the FreeNAS box.

panz

Guru
You can simply add the CentOS box public.key to FreeNAS, copying and pasting the key into the root's User Account Configuration "SSH Public Key". This is an easy way to add that key to authorized_keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.