winSCP/ssh connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbbd

Dabbler
I tried really hard to follow the documentation, but I still cannot login over ssh.
I've started the ssh service, freenas created private/public keys.
I've used puttygen to create private/public keys on the win7.
I've pasted the public key of the win7 into the .ssh/authorized_keys on the freenas (under guest home folder).
When I try to connect with putty, I get a "login:" prompt, type guest, get a password, so I hit enter since guest has no password, and get access denied.
When I try using winscp, I get a message "server refused our key"

Freenas documentation send me to bsd documentation, which sends me to putty documentation. Its all very poorly explained. Is there a *simple* setup for putty or better yet winscp connection to freenas?

Thanks,
Dan

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Does guest have login capability on the account settings? Does guest have a home directory?
Why are you using guest to login via ssh?

Whattteva

Wizard
Just as pirateghost says, you shouldn't be using guest.
Use your own username that you created for file access on the web GUI.

dbbd

Dabbler
Guest has login capability and a home folder.
I used guest following the instructions for creating shared folders for cifs. The guest account does not have a password, and has full permissions.

Dusan

Guru
Due to security reasons SSH does not allow empty passwords. However, if you are really sure you want to do it you can override the policy by adding "PermitEmptyPasswords yes" into the Extra options field on the SSH Settings screen (Advanced mode)

Dusan

Guru
Ah sorry, I did not read your first post -- you are trying to use public keys. You mentioned you pasted the key into authorized_keys. SSH will not use the key if the file / directory permissions are too permissive. See here: http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#3.14

Status
Not open for further replies.