How to let the virtual machine use NFS or SMB to mount the hard disk of other computers?

Dabbler
I want to move some movies to another Ubuntu server, and let the `emby jails` of freenas play on the Ubuntu server directly.
I tried to mount SMB but failed
Then I changed Ubuntu's sharing mode to NFS
The host of freenas can be mounted normally
But there is a problem at this time. I use `emby jails` to access the attached folder. It can't be displayed

So I use emby jails to mount NFS directly, but the permission is wrong

1593362502612.png

If NFS is not feasible, can I use iSCSI?
At present, I don't have enough free NAS hard disk space

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
From your post, it's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to mount a folder from Ubuntu inside the emby jail? Have you tried mounting a folder from Ubuntu outside the jail, and then adding that as a jail mount for emby?

Dabbler
From your post, it's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to mount a folder from Ubuntu inside the emby jail? Have you tried mounting a folder from Ubuntu outside the jail, and then adding that as a jail mount for emby?
sorry my english is poor.
ubuntuserver ip 10.195.106.43 share folder name `ubuntu_share`.use nfs
````
ubuntu_server
└── mnt
*****└── ubuntu_share
```
freenas ip 192.168.31.199 .It can use NFS to mount the Ubuntu server normally.
````
freenas
└── data
******└── ubuntu_share => ubuntu_share (success to ubuntu server)
******└── other
```
freenas jails : emby .ip: 192.168.31.113 it can mount the freenas `data` folder normally .
````
emby
└── media =>data (success to freenas )
***** └── ubuntu_share => can't visit ubuntu server
***** └── other => it can be visit
```
So I try to mount the Ubuntu server directly by emby. But the permission problem is prompted.
If I migrate emby to Ubuntu server, it is OK to use Ubuntu to mount freenas shares directly. But because of my network structure, I choose to install emby on freenas to maximize performance

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Unfortunately, it's not possible to mount NFS inside a jail. You'll need to mount it outside the jail, and then provide a jail mount like your ubuntu_share above.

Samuel Tai

If you run lsvfs, you'll see the file systems that can be mounted inside a jail. Unfortunately, nfs doesn't have the jail flag, so it's not possible to mount NFS inside a jail.