How to mount zfs on Opensuse or Ubuntu client using nfs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm quite new on Freenas and I would like to know how to mount a shared folder using NFS on Ubuntu or Opensuse client computer ?
I know that using smb it's working but it's low and no multiple server running for data transfert ;)

Thanks,

Matt

danb35

Hall of Famer
ZFS has nothing to do with anything--when you're sharing files over a network, the underlying filesystem is irrelevant. It could be ext2/3/4, NTFS, btrfs, ZFS, XFS, Reiser, or even FAT32. There are two steps--creating the NFS share on FreeNAS, and mounting it on your client machine. To create the share, read the manual. To mount it on the client machine, again, the manual has instructions, or you can consult the documentation for your client OS.

Hi,

For the shared folder, I already done it with the manual ;) The problem is I not found any documentation for mounting this zfs shared folder in nfs, that's why I asked. If I try a "mount //192.xxx.xxx.xxx/mnt/volumezfs /mnt/mountedvolume" that make me an error :
mount //192.xxx.x.xxx/stockage_volume /mnt/test/
Password for root@//192.xxx.x.xxx/stockage_volume: ************
Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The problem is that a no ZFS folder under an other Linux system mount without problem... so can't understant what is bad, it's just a shared folder.... Also this network share is present in Freenas.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ylYG5fzOLLdFR3TkgwZF9kY0U/view?usp=sharing

So can't understand what I missed, and help will be great.

Thanks,

Matt

update :
With this command I have this error :
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.226:/stockage_volume /mnt/test
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.226:/stockage_volume

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Once again, ZFS has nothing to do with this. And you're using incorrect syntax for the mount command, if you want to mount an NFS export. The link I gave you showed how that syntax should look, in general. The documentation for your client operating system should explain in more detail.

If you're going to post screenshots (which can often be helpful), please just upload them here--there's no reason to link out to other locations. Use the Upload a File button below the reply window.

Hello again,

Ok so I updated my last post maybe you not saw it :
With this command I have this error :
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.226:/stockage_volume /mnt/test
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.226:/stockage_volume

With a more correct command, I still have the problem... but I have a server under OpenSuse in NFS, have no problem, under arch linux with NFS and no problem also with Qnap system... And no problem with SMB shared folder under Linux and Windows from Freenas... so can't understand why not work with NFS from Freenas...

I tried to use Freenas because when I'm not at office and a maintenance is needed, a specific user with less linux knowledge can check or do a fix.... but if I can't get a good NFS mount, I'll change the system... bad for me... but will works.

Thanks,

Matt

For information I run a 168 To server with hardware controlers on 3 hardware raid 6 and one stripped volume ZFS

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, when you use the (more) correct mount command, you have a completely different problem, and that problem is that the server is refusing the connection. Your mount command still isn't correct; your share is exported as /mnt/stockage_volume, not as /stockage_volume. This may be your problem. If not, review the permissions you've set for that export in FreeNAS.

Edit: If you're saying you're using hardware RAID6 as "disks" for ZFS, be prepared to lose all your data, suddenly and without warning. FreeNAS can't see behind the RAID controllers to monitor the disk health, or see if disks are failing/failed.

Arf.... My bad for the path, I'm stupid... works with samba but not with NFS... my apologies.
Your other good point is about the raid controllers. So my hardware card drive the health of the HDD and if it do it, there still have a risk to loose datas ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.