how to install plugins (any)

Twainer

Cadet
I'm not new to FreeNAS, but I've just created a 2nd server for my son. The hardware is the same as the first one, a Dell c2100 fs12 cy. Installed the 11.2 version and am fumbling around with the new UI a bit it seems. When I attempt to install a plugin (tried plex first, but found any plugin causes the same error) I get an error that appears to indicate a lack of proper IP settings:

"[EFAULT] Exception: RuntimeError: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped plex due to DHCP failure occured, destroyed plex." <mispelling included>.

Following the guide, I made sure I've got a pool created and assigned for jails, but when I select a plugin, dhcp is pre checked for me. Nothing to do on that screen but select install. It took me a couple go 'rounds but I discovered I can remove the dhcp check and this allows me to select which interface I want to use. No matter; the same error happens with any of the 4 interfaces, igb0, igb1, bridge, or epair0b. I get the same error on any interface. I did succeed using the c2100's 2nd interface (igb1) and hard coding an IP/netmask, but this only shows me a 2nd FreeNas console at the assigned IP, not Plex.

I need to use dhcp as this server will be used in another location from mine and I can't preconfigure it. What is it that I missed? The guide seems pretty straight forward on the procedure. I'm old and feeble anymore, but I'm pretty sure I've crossed the Ts and dotted the i's here. Any ideas?

D

dlavigne

Something is preventing the DHCP lease. Any firewalls or proxies in the way? Restrictions on the DHCP server?

Twainer

Cadet
This is 11.2 out of the box. Installed using the boot image and created a simple two disk mirror setup with a pair of 2.5" internal disks inside the dell c2100 (if you're not familiar with this server, there is a spot for two disks on top of the fan shroud above the ram sticks). There are only two user accounts created, and I've set up smb shares for the single storage tank. I read the guide and tried to install plex but I'm not getting anywhere. The c2100 has 3 network interfaces, two for the server and one for the bmc. I have all three setup in the dhcp server, but freenas only allows one of the interfaces to configure with dhcp. The 3rd one for the bmc is up and running before the system boots. IF there are firewalls anywhere I don't know where to find them.

l@e

Contributor
The dhcp server should give you 3 different ip based form different mac. You can see only 2 of these interfaces in the network tab, the bmc should show up in the ipmi section.
If its not getting dhcp in any of those interfaces check wiring and also the dhcp pool if there are enough leases avaible.
Anyway my strongest recommendation is to use static ip for servers.
Also unless you have 2 networks (physical) or are doing lagg don't hook both cards.

Twainer

Cadet
DHCP (servers) can be set up to offer the same IP address forever (static) to a client based on the ethernet (mac) address. This is what I do on my network--preconfigure each ethernet address to be used with a specific IP number which will never change. Unknown mac addresses do not receive a response from DHCP here.
In the FreeNAS installation, apparently, only one interface can make use of DHCP. At least that appears to happen; of the two server connections on the c2100, only one gets set up by the installation script by default. The 2nd is left unconfigured. When trying to use the console to configure the 2nd to use DHCP (so it can obtain the 2nd IP address I've preset for it) the console shows an error and comments that only one interface can be set to use DHCP. This is not what I'd expect, but its what Freenas is doing.
Setting that 2nd interface up by hand using the console gets the connection running--but now I've just added a 2nd IP number from which I can reach the web console over. None of this is getting me any closer to installing a plugin. Those just crash with the DHCP error mentioned above.

Since I preconfigure the DHCP server to offer a specific IP number to each mac address, I need to have entered that mac address into the DHCP server in advance. I thought perhaps Freenas was generating some virtual mac address for plugins at install time which would not be able to obtain an address. Monitoring the network ports does not show any unknown ethernet addresses, however. I see only the two hardware addresses that the server owns.

l@e

Contributor
Yes i use also dhcp server on router or firewall at the office with reservation, but i usualy make them static only after are leased to the devices.
Dont know what router platform you are using or the dhcp server runs on server, but maybe some logs there can help understand if it is offered an ip or not. For some deep debug if you have a managed switch you can mirror the port of FN and use wireshark to capture packets.
Anyway dont know the size of the network you have and will not say which way to setup, but preregistering mac for leases i would use only to secure nets so anyone not aware could just plug the cable and gets ip. But even that would not be a high grade of security since any intrutder with bad intentions can still capture packets and easily get info of your net. Port security and AAA can work better for security, but as i said i dont know the reasons of your choice. Anyway for servers (unless in testing stage) as i mentioned before i would not use dhcp since during lease renew may happen some delays and some services are not friendly with that. Plex i dont use I don’t have idea how it works.