How to install patches in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemachine79

Cadet
How does one go about installing a patch such as the one located here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4439?

(I'm sure this is a stupid question so no need to browbeat me about it - if you can help then please do - I've already tried Google but couldn't narrow the search enough to find an answer)

phoenix

Explorer
As far as I know it's not possible in the current version of FreeNAS but I believe a later version will be updated by specific patches (rather than updating the full install as a bug fix release). Although I don't think this feature will necessarily apply to users being able to apply their own choice of patches.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be honest, if you have to ask you probably shouldn't try it.

Patches may or may not work for all situations and such so unless you have the experience and knowledge to handle it on your own its something you shouldn't be doing.

Not to mention, if you read the latest comment it doesn't appear to solve all of the problems.

icemachine79

Cadet
The only way to learn is to ask questions. :) So the patch file is meant for use in a future build and not for installation on the fly, is that what you're saying? I thought it might be something along those lines. Bacula is a giant headache, but I've got to learn it for work so I'm trying to set it up at home first. Even though I can't alter or delete Devices under Bacula's plugin menu I'm assuming they'll still work once I finish editing the conf files and get the Director up and running.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, the patch isn't "meant" for anything. It's something a user provided. It may or may not apply for your version since it's a diff file. Again, if you don't know what this is you've got serious reading to do before looking to apply a patch. It's your own risk (or reward) when applying a patch and in short "if you don't know how to do it you shouldn't try". Being that this is for work you should *definitely* stick to running releases only or paying someone with far more knowledge to make it work. For work-related stuff you are always better off doing your own stuff in a jail than a plugin. Plugins may or may not ever have an update and you may or may not be able to update them later (read up on the 20+ threads on "Plex plugin won't update.. help!" stuff). So be warned you may find yourself in trouble later if Bacula suddenly requires some particular version or newer and you don't meet that requirement. Believe me, many people have had this problem with other plugins. Plugins are nice because they are push-button installs. But they have major limitations that can bite you in the booty later. This is particularly nasty if you are in a work environment because if you use a plugin you probably couldn't create the jail yourself, so when something goes wrong your boss is going to expect you to fix it and you may not know how except to delete the whole plugin and start over.

Yes, the only way to learn is to ask questions. But your question is outside the scope of this forum so I'm trying to push you in the right direction without leaving the thread unanswered. Not that you can't ask, but you probably won't get the answer you want. ;)

What phoenix said about patches is true, but that applies to the OS. Not to the jails or plugins themselves.

icemachine79

Cadet
Luckily I don't have to set up the server myself; just support the client systems in general, including making sure they are indeed getting backed up. The group responsible for providing backup services is transitioning from Retrospect to Bacula next month. I'm only using FreeNAS to test Bacula because I already had a FreeNAS box set up at home to use as a sandbox. But I'm trying to learn how it works because I don't like to support something completely blind. I'm still learning the differences between FreeBSD and the Linux distros I've used in the past (mostly Debian flavors).

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer the question in detail. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm beginning to grasp the concept, but I will definitely read up before attempting anything this complex. At least my VirtualBox plugin is working like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.