SOLVED Yet another python, texteditor, mysql setup in jail question

fahadshery

Contributor
Hi all,

I tried creating a cloned jail that I want to use for data scrapping and storage with some custom scripting using python2 and python3.
I tried installing Atom editor (because it's my favorite) using:
Code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/editors/atom/ && make install clean

Full info here.
When I launch it, it fails to launch.

Then I tried installing Sublimetext3 by:
Code:
pkg install linux-sublime3

And that failed spectacularly too!

So I am wondering if software like these can really be installed and launched via command line?

Then I thought, let's install mysql80-server.
It did and when I ran secure_installation. It doesn't accept the root password. and I couldn't find the built-in username/psw for MySQL either.

I never tried installing python.

So could anyone of you greats, help with this?

PS I am a total n00b so I think I am missing something basic here.

thanks in advanced

danb35

Hall of Famer
When I launch it, it fails to launch.
With what error? "It fails" doesn't give us much of an idea of what's going on, though I suspect it's related to the fact that you're trying to install and run two GUI-based (as far as I can tell) text editors without a GUI. You don't have a GUI in a jail, and won't unless you install one and VNC into it.
It did and when I ran secure_installation. It doesn't accept the root password.
There is no root password on a default MySQL installation.

garm

Wizard
I’ve actually started using Visual Studio Code for scripting and light coding at work. It interfaces nicely with git and has remote capabilities over ssh to Linux. So, I do most of my work on a dedicated Ubuntu server and “publish” changes to my jails. It’s really nice, beats the glory that is vi by a mile. If you don’t want to have/don’t have a dedicate Linux instance you can use it with WSL as well.

Proposed workflow is something like, create git repo for the jail, scp config files with absolute path, make change, commit, “publish” with scp and restart service with ssh

fahadshery

Contributor
With what error? "It fails" doesn't give us much of an idea of what's going on, though I suspect it's related to the fact that you're trying to install and run two GUI-based (as far as I can tell) text editors without a GUI. You don't have a GUI in a jail, and won't unless you install one and VNC into it.

There is no root password on a default MySQL installation.

thank you so much. I have sorted out all the errors. Here are the details...
How do I install a GUI? I really want to use Atom as a text editor and my build will be completed :D

thanks

fahadshery

Contributor
I’ve actually started using Visual Studio Code for scripting and light coding at work. It interfaces nicely with git and has remote capabilities over ssh to Linux. So, I do most of my work on a dedicated Ubuntu server and “publish” changes to my jails. It’s really nice, beats the glory that is vi by a mile. If you don’t want to have/don’t have a dedicate Linux instance you can use it with WSL as well.

Proposed workflow is something like, create git repo for the jail, scp config files with absolute path, make change, commit, “publish” with scp and restart service with ssh

Actually not a bad idea. What is a WSL?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do I install a GUI?
Well, you follow any guide you find on Google to install a GUI under FreeBSD 11.3 or so. You then find and follow a guide for installing a VNC server there, since you otherwise have no display. Or you realize that trying to run GUI software in a jail is unlikely to be a good idea, and come up with another solution to whatever your problem is.

garm

Wizard
Well, you follow any guide you find on Google to install a GUI under FreeBSD 11.3 or so. You then find and follow a guide for installing a VNC server there, since you otherwise have no display. Or you realize that trying to run GUI software in a jail is unlikely to be a good idea, and come up with another solution to whatever your problem is.
That must be soo slow

garm

Wizard
Actually not a bad idea. What is a WSL?

danb35

Hall of Famer
That must be soo slow
It isn't awful, but it really is a kludge. It's what they should have done with Crashplan, and what they should do with the as-yet-nonexistent Asigra client plugin/VM appliance, both of which are native GUI (vs. web GUI) applications, but a much better idea is to run your GUI editor on a local machine, and have it save to the server, as you've suggested. I haven't played with VSCode for this (though I have played with it a little bit for building Marlin for my 3D printers), but both BBEdit (on my Mac) and Notepad++ (on Windows) also have this capability over SFTP (and quite possibly git, though I haven't gotten into that yet).