How to install FreeNAS on RAID1 i3 computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafe

Cadet
I got an i3, 16gb ram and 2 identically velociraptors hdd's 500gb each (10000rpm).
My mobo is having RAID onboard so from BIOS I made a RAID1 volume.

How can I done this?
I want to install FreeNAS in RAID1. My files are important and that's why I want RAID1.

I don't want to have FreeNAS running from CD or usb stick. I want to have it installed on my computer. (Like a Linux distro for example.)
Is it possible?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So what you are saying is you are trying to do something against the manual's recommendations?

Good luck to you....

cafe

Cadet
You said it like was against the law. :)

OK, so how can I done this but still having that RAID1?

Thank you for your patience.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's not against the law, but if you are new to FreeNAS(which you clearly are) then you should probably just follow the manual until you figure out what you can and can't do. There's lots of stuff you can modify to make work, but you don't want to be trying to do stuff just because you don't like USB sticks or whatever.

Hint: Many people try to install to a hard drive and eventually give up and just use a USB stick.. it really is the smarter way to go.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For starters, if that is just a consumer mother board, I will bet money that it's not a true hardware raid. Secondly, why would you waste 2 500gb drives for the install? Wouldn't you want to use them as storage?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yatti420

Wizard
cafe, Today at 4:13 AM

I got an i3, 16gb ram and 2 identically velociraptors hdd's 500gb each (10000rpm).
My mobo is having RAID onboard so from BIOS I made a RAID1 volume.

How can I done this?
I want to install FreeNAS in RAID1. My files are important and that's why I want RAID1.

I don't want to have FreeNAS running from CD or usb stick. I want to have it installed on my computer. (Like a Linux distro for example.)
Is it possible?​
I'm pretty sure the manual states not to use Motherboard RAID solutions and to let freenas build and handle everything.. So via software..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know, the OP broke several taboos with what he's trying to do. I was hoping my post would motivate him to stop and read the manual cover-to-cover. He'll see lots of errors in his ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.