How to incease memory utilisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobKamp

Dabbler
I have installed Freenas 8.2.0 Beta3 x64.
I have 16GB installed.
It is an AMD E-350 Mobo and uses five 3TB disks.
There is also a 64GB SSD that is used for cache.
I run RAIDZ.

At the moment 14GB of the 16GB is not used.

What parameters do I have to change to start using all this memory?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
In my experience nothing. In an earlier version they put some parameters that lowered memory utilization but they took thos out after people (including I) complained. I think my memory starts out low as well after a restart and jumps up whenever I start streaming videos. ZFS is smart enough to know to throw / leave stuff in memory.

ProtoSD

MVP
You can set vfs.zfs.arc_max to a number around 3/4 of your RAM. Setting vm.kmem_size is not necessary in the x64 version as the default is already 32GB, so unless you have more than 32GB don't worry about that. I just upgraded to 8GB and my memory wasn't being utilized either.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hmm, I took all my tunning off and Freenas sits at around 13gb of my 16gb ram. I think if you don't mess with it freenas will tune itself. So my vote is tuning not necessary for memory utilization, just use. Like mine fills up after someone streams a movie and will stay filled up unless I have to reboot my box.

RobKamp

Dabbler
Thanks. I turned on autotune and it increased memory usage a lot. it now has 6GB free in stead of 14GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.