How to import a SSL certificate signed by a CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouaki

Cadet
Hi there :)

I have a certificate authority and I created a certificate for my freenas server.
When I try to import it, it says the private rsa or dsa key is not valid or not found.

When I try to import a private key & certificate with this format it says "RSA or DSA private key not found":
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
[...] base64
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[...]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

When I try to import a private key & certificate by adding "RSA" to the header (same base64 key though...) it says "RSA or DSA private key is not valid":
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
[...] base64
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[...]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

I have totally normal x509 certificates (pem) and I just can't understand what to do to add my private and public keys to the freenas server...

Thanks for your help :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You must supply a key too. Easiest to generate it elsewhere then just paste it all in.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
oops I mean a certificate, of course. You need both a key and a certificate.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Okay, well, it does work, and has since mid-8.0.something days, because I remember being the hard to please user who complained until they fixed the GUI import.

Basically generate a 2048 bit key, then a CSR, then have your CA process the request. Concatenate the key and the cert and paste.

Kouaki

Cadet
How can I generate a CSR? Do I have to do it using the console?
And why should I do so? I already have the certificate, I just want to import it. I even added a passphrase to it so FreeNAS wouldn't complain about no RSA...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You cannot just generate a random certificate and hope it will work. SSL does not work that way.

We do everything with scripts for our local root CA. That won't help you, so instead I suggest Google.

If you are using OpenSSL, I suggest you review the commands and helper scripts to generate a key, then to generate a CSR (which involves providing information that includes the Common Name), and then the certificate signing process that takes your request and generates a certificate from it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh, and, no, do it from a different machine to make it easy on yourself.

Kouaki

Cadet
For my other linux servers, I just generate a certificate on my CA with the correct common-name and then import the .key and .cert files on the host.
I thought this would be possible with FreeNAS.
I'll generate a CSR with a script, but help is hard to find when it comes to SSL certificates on FreeNAS...
Thanks for your time and for helping me :)

Kouaki

Cadet
So now you're telling me I could generate a CSR on another Linux host with OpenSSL using the FreeNAS common-name?
That's already what I did on my CA!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You should be able to generate it all (key, csr, cert) on the CA host, yes. I just can't easily look for the commands right now because I'm on AT&T's fantastic Chicago area LTE service where page loads take minutes.

Kouaki

Cadet
My certificate is already fine and I'm sure it's OK because I always do it like that on my other hosts.
What I did is just adding a passphrase : openssl rsa -aes256 -in ca-generated-cert.key -out new-cert.key

Kouaki

Cadet
So, as seen in FreeNAS source code, the check done by the web interface is the following:

Code:
def get_key_modulus(self, key_file_path, type='rsa'):
        if not key_file_path:
            return None

proc = subprocess.Popen([
            "/usr/bin/openssl",
            type,
            "-noout",
            "-modulus",
            "-in", key_file_path,
            ],
            stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
            stderr=subprocess.PIPE,
            )

When I run this command on my CA, it returns the modulus!!! The private key is correct!!! What's the problem with this stupid thing?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
so what happens when you do it from the freenas cli? you seem to have figured out the next logical debug step without actually having done it...

r0b07

Cadet
Sorry to bump this, but did you ever resolve this?

I'm having the samme issue. I have an RSA key (generated using openssl). From that, I generated a CSR and received my signed certificate.

I've used the key/cert combo in many other places (webserver, pfsense, etc) and it works flawlessly. However, when I concatenate them and past them into the web gui, freenas (9.1.1 amd64 in my case) complains that: RSA or DSA private key not found.

Any help would be much appreciated.

daveed

Cadet
just started using freenas today and found this thread after having the same issue with a startssl cert giving the error "RSA or DSA private key not found"

would only work after using the decrypted rsa key!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I believe StartSSL requires the use of an intermediate certificate. I don't recall the specifics but Google "startssl intermediate" for more details.

BloodThunder

Cadet
Just wondering if this issue has been resolved.

I had the same issue, but discovered that I had failed to turn on HTTPS in the SYSTEM/GENERAL menu. After enabling HTTPS, and copy/pasting the keys to the webserver everything went through.

Is there any downside to using the default webserver's key?

Status
Not open for further replies.