How to edit loader.conf in 8.2 nightly version

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpdinh

Dabbler
Hi,

Just to preface by saying I'm a completely new to Linux and Freenas. Did a lot of searches but can't find how to edit and write out loader.conf in 8.2 nightly. In 8.02, it was easy after mounting and to write out was ctrl-O. But in 8.2, how do you mount AND edit and save. I figured out how to mount but it won't let me type anything.

ProtoSD

MVP
FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD which is technically UNIX, not Linux.

But he's a noob and technically Linux is a derivative of Unix, so we'll give him a little bit of slack ;)

I haven't used the 8.2 nightlies, so this is just a guess. Since editing loader.conf has been added to the GUI in 8.03, I'm guessing it's also been added to 8.2. That probably means loader.conf gets overwritten at boot from the settings stored in the database.

It is strange that it won't let you type anything. If you can edit it, you should be able to type and save it. It'll just get overwritten if my guess above is correct.

tpdinh

Dabbler
But he's a noob and technically Linux is a derivative of Unix, so we'll give him a little bit of slack ;)

I haven't used the 8.2 nightlies, so this is just a guess. Since editing loader.conf has been added to the GUI in 8.03, I'm guessing it's also been added to 8.2. That probably means loader.conf gets overwritten at boot from the settings stored in the database.

It is strange that it won't let you type anything. If you can edit it, you should be able to type and save it. It'll just get overwritten if my guess above is correct.

@Brand: Sorry, my bad. It's taken me a bit to figure out how to set things up and dealing with all the command lines but it's fun setting up a fast NAS!

@protosd: there is no option for modifying the loader.conf in the 8.2 nightly that I can find. There IS a section for adding systcl options. Is there GUI option in 8.03 for both loader.conf and systcl? If so, I may just revert back to 8.03.

mdoering

Cadet
to answer your question, I was able to go to the shell and do the following

mount -rw /
vi /boot/loader.conf

hit 'i' to enter interactive or insert mode

make any desired changes, hit 'esc' to get out of interactive mode and then :wq to write and quit vi

then reboot

jorexjo

Cadet
to answer your question, I was able to go to the shell and do the following

mount -rw /
vi /boot/loader.conf

hit 'i' to enter interactive or insert mode

make any desired changes, hit 'esc' to get out of interactive mode and then :wq to write and quit vi

then reboot

Hi..:)
i already did the above steps but can not save the file
appears error mesg " Read only file, not written; use ! to override"
Guys... need your assistance..
Thank you

Stephens

Patron
Did you read the error message?

jorexjo

Cadet
Did you read the error message?

Dear Stephens
"Error : /boot/loader.conf: Read-only file system."

how to make it writeable ?
after edit via vi /boot/loader.conf, and then insert ' vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0" ' then type :wq!
regards,
jorexjo

ProtoSD

MVP
Why are you even doing it like this? This method is outdated, use the GUI like William said above.

jorexjo

Cadet
Or be smart and use System->Loaders->Add Loader in the GUI ;)
I use FreeNas 8.04
can you tell me in detail ?
i could not find loader under system.
where is it ?
under system are only :
reporting, seting, system information , cron jobs, rsysnc task, smart test, sysctls,tunables
pls kindly assist. thx

aran kaspar

Explorer
@mdoering
this helped me edit the loader.conf to change some default values for FC hints... couldn't do it any other way...
thank you! thank you! thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.