webstyler

Explorer
Hello

How to disable ping of freenas box ?

Need to use public ip and prefer be not pingable

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't recommend doing that. FreeNAS should absolutely be behind a firewall(which means you wouldn't be asking about pings from your FreeNAS server). Any system you put on the internet with no firewall you can expect to be pwned in no time at all.

Also you can't use the jail because the jail does not have a firewall that can be used. Even if it did have a firewall it wouldn't work because the jail works inside of FreeNAS so it can't protect FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do it. I don't want some future reader to think this i was a good idea.

I just can't recommend anyone doing this. Even as a testbed with only fake files made using /dev/random I wouldn't do it. You're just asking for lots and lots of trouble and I can't imagine any scenario where this would be useful.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi webstyler,

I hate to have to tell you this, but noobsauce80 is right. Your plan is just a bad idea.

-Will

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeBSD doesn't offer an easy way to turn off ICMP ping because doing so is pretty much a bad thing. It's not quite as bad as filtering all ICMP entirely (quick way to identify stupid, clueless dolts) but still a bad thing.

You usually need an ipfw rule to implement this sort of badness. FreeNAS doesn't include ipfw, which in my mind is a little unfortunate, but it keeps performance higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.