Cannot Resolve host on wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

Dabbler
Hello all,

Does anybody know why when my laptop is conneced to my LAN with cat6 cable i can ping my freenas box IP and Host but when i connect to the freenas box using my wireless i can ping the IP but not the host.

I'm using vigin superhub if that of any relevance

Thank you in advance

Fred

phoenix

Explorer
Does anybody know why when my laptop is conneced to my LAN with cat6 cable i can ping my freenas box IP and Host but when i connect to the freenas box using my wireless i can ping the IP but not the host.
That would indicate you either have no DNS servers set or you have no DNS records for the freenas box.

The Apprentice

Dabbler
Sorry i don't understand...if that was the case how come i can ping everything correctly when i have a cable plug to my laptop?

praecorloth

Contributor
Without DNS, Windows machines (and *nix machines like FreeNAS running samba) rely on NetBIOS to resolve IPs to names. The short short short version is that NetBIOS under the best of conditions is flaky. But if it has worked reliably with a wired connection, then my next guess would be to check your wireless router/access point. It's possible that your wireless router/access point is blocking NetBIOS traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.