How To Delete Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivey

Contributor
Noobie question but am very new to FreeNAS. Have been using Win10 for a long time and am using file management programs for management. I just imported a 8TB hard
drive full of Plex files. I then had to copy those files to different directories to account for my Plex setup. I now need to delete the 7TB of imported data. I tried doing that on my windows machine by using the shared drive that contains that date but it says I don't have permission from FreeNAS to delete the files.

What would be the correct way to do this? Do I do this through the shell when I use a browser to access the FreeNAS or maybe use Putty? If so, where do I find the required commands? I am assuming that the commands are similar to the old DOS commands. Thanks for any help.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am assuming that the commands are similar to the old DOS commands.
That would not be a safe assumption. The easiest way to do it (through a SSH connection, not through the shell of the web GUI) would be using the Midnight Commander. Type mc to start it.

rivey

Contributor
Would that also work through Putty? Thanks

rivey

Contributor
Thanks danb35. Using Putty with Midnight Commander was a great approach. It reminded me of the old days using DOS and Norton Commandere. MC works like Norton Commander so it was very easy for me to use. I am seeing that I need to do a lot more studying if I am going to continue using FreeNAS as a server and I will continue to use it. This forum is a great asset and people like you and others are what make it great. Thank-you so very much for your help to me and so many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.