Delete snapshots & dataset with dependent clones?

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Hello all, I am running TrueNAS core on Version: 13.0-U5.3 and need some help and confirmation for my instance of what to do.

I have one Pool called VolumeXL and I am needing some help to understand what I need to to do so I can delete a data set and a snapshot and ensure that it is not going to delete my jail in the process. I have read alot of the topics on this but wanted to see if someone could clarify for me my situation and it if is safe to delete the data set and snapshot and not delete the jail in parallel.

When trying to delete the Data Set that is under iocage-releases-11.2-RELEASE I get the error message below.
Error deleting dataset <i>11.2-RELEASE</i>.

[EFAULT] Failed to delete dataset: cannot destroy 'VolumeXL/iocage/releases/11.2-RELEASE': filesystem has dependent clones use '-R' to destroy the following datasets: VolumeXL/iocage/jails/Plex/root

Also when trying to delete the snapshot I get the error below.
1699315318786.png

I have a working jail for Plex as shown in the image below in green rectangle. The dataset I am trying to delete is in the red rectangle.

How do I delete that dataset and not delete/destroy my Plex jail?

1699314954194.png

Did you create a Clone Jail or a Base Jail?

I always use Base Jails, and this is the main reason why.

Your Plex jail is also unusually large. Have you been storing media directly in the jail's filesystem, rather than outside via a mountpoint?

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
I honestly don't remember what I did when I first set this up many years ago now.

Do you mean the 38.59 GiB is big? All of my media is stored in a specific data set. If something was stored to the jails file system I dont know what or why.

As you can tell I am a bit lost on this particular item.

Do you mean the 38.59 GiB is big? All of my media is stored in a specific data set. If something was stored to the jails file system I dont know what or why
You should definitely check. 39GiB is a bit much for a jail with only Plex installed.

I honestly don't remember what I did when I first set this up many years ago now.
It appears you created a Clone Jail (which they made the default choice for some reason :rolleyes:). Your jail is tethered to the original snapshot when you created it from an 11.2-RELEASE.

Technically, it's possible to create a new Basejail, install the plexmediaserver package, and then migrate your Plex config over.