How to backup configuration in case I mess up? New to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ampedout

Dabbler
I have been trying to get things running for a long time now. 4+ Months now. (I know its sad) I had everything up and running until I tried to install OpenVPN with my VPN provider. It then froze and I have to restart once again. I keep having to do this over and over. The save config option does not save every detail, I feel like its not saving info from the hard drive disk. I have read about snapshots a bit, but dont completely understand it. If I create one, can I wipe the drive clean and upload it to regain my working settings? Or, do I not wipe the drive and just reload a snapshot?

Are there any other options for this? Since I am trying to figure out the configuration for everything on my own with guides and google, I have a LOT of trial and error. Id like to save my milestones and continue from there. Instead of start from scratch each time.

Thank you for your help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Version of FreeNAS? Hardware specs? Are you trying to install OpenVPN in a jail?

You can set up automated backups of your FreeNAS configuration by following steps listed here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/backup-config-file-every-night-automatically.8237/

Note that backing up your config is not the same as backing up all of the data on your FreeNAS server. Also, there is no need to wipe your array every time that you decide to undo some config change that you made. It sounds awfully like you are trying to install ports directly on your FreeNAS install (instead of using jails). Don't do that. Please refer to jail documentation here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Jails

Ampedout

Dabbler
Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-BETA-5c259f3-x64
Platform AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory: 15843MB

I was just following any guides that I could find for the OpenVPN setup, Id have to look for them again.
I also just recently switched to the beta. Figured that it would possibly fix any bugs that I am having installing plugins.

Ampedout

Dabbler
Would crashplan or baracuda plugin in FreeNAS work as a way to backup your server, including settings etc?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please don't change the subject. If you want to discuss a new topic please search the forums and make a new thread if you can't find your answer.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I was just following any guides that I could find for the OpenVPN setup, Id have to look for them again.
Personally, I wouldn't bother running OpenVPN on your FreeNAS server. Get an old computer stick a couple of Intel Pro/1000 NICs in it and install PF-Sense. The server doesn't have to be powerful (a Pentium IV is more than enough to get started learning OpenVPN and PF-Sense).

How-to guides on the internet are typically either incorrect, out of date, or both. If you become a pf-sense gold member you will get access to a book that has a chapter on OpenVPN. You are also more likely to get help on their forums getting OpenVPN working.

By the way, I highly recommend reading the FreeNAS documentation. It should give you a pretty clear idea of what you can or cannot do with your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.