How to avoid wasting space on already redundant volume ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre-K

Dabbler
I plan to run FreeNAS on a ESXi server, with HW RAID5. Needless to say, I will not need the redundancy of ZFS.
How can I avoid wasting space, and keep RAID5 ?

joshg678

Explorer
All you would do, is create a disk for freenas to install too (3gb or so) and then a large one for your data (500gb for ex)
then create a ZFS volume using the 500gb drive you made.
There won't be an option for any type of 'raid', but this will allow you to add additional storage in the future

for ex, you create a new 250gb drive in esx, present to freenas. Then use volume manager to expand the current ZFS pool, select the new drive, and its that easy.
However this may slow down your freenas, as it will stripe the two together (write/read from both at same time) so it would be ideal if when you expanded it later if they were on a different Datastore.

Andre-K

Dabbler
Let me rephrase:
If I have 5x3TB SAS drives, in RAID5 (hardware controller) , I already have redundancy.
Is there a method to make Freenas work with EXT4 or similar file system, so no matter how many TB it gets, it won't spend much of if on additional redundancy ?

joshg678

Explorer
your only option is do what i said.
Create the VM for freenas
Add a virtural disk to the vm for your storage

Inside freenas, create a volume.

ZFS does not = RAID.

Andre-K

Dabbler
I get what you are saying, but if I assign a virtual 3TB to Freenas , it'll use ZFS and I am able to pit 1TB of data on those 3TB.
This is my problem, because the 3TB virtual disk, is already protected by RAID5 - so while ZFS is very nice, I am not willing to be able to use only 1/3 of the assigned space)

I am very much aware that ZFS is not RAID5 - and has lots of neat features. I am just referring to the fact that it is displaying 1/3 of the drive space assigned as free. resembling a parity or mirror feature.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
You can use ZFS to make a single disk volume. ZFS will attempt no redundancy if you do that.

Note: if you're saying "I gave FreeNAS a 3TB virtual disk and it detected a 1TB one" - that's not a feature, that's a bug.

Andre-K

Dabbler
Note: if you're saying "I gave FreeNAS a 3TB virtual disk and it detected a 1TB one" - that's not a feature, that's a bug.

Sorry - that's my bad - I mean it shows up as 1T , when it's there ready for sharing.
later I added 3G virtual drives at a time, can post screenshots tomorrow.

You can use ZFS to make a single disk volume. ZFS will attempt no redundancy if you do that.

tried that -
assigning 3GiB volume , - then I get about 1G free

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
How are you sharing it? Also, since it hasn't been said: what FreeNAS version?

joshg678

Explorer
Sorry - that's my bad - I mean it shows up as 1T , when it's there ready for sharing.
later I added 3G virtual drives at a time, can post screenshots tomorrow.

tried that -
assigning 3GiB volume , - then I get about 1G free

You mean 3Tb and 1TB?

ALso what version of ESX are you using?

Andre-K

Dabbler

When I said 1GB , I was speaking about the available space on the share made on FreeNAS - while it was using 3GB disk

You mean 3Tb and 1TB?
ALso what version of ESX are you using?

sorry for talking about 3TiB and 3GiB ,
The Terabyte examples are from a Dell T420 server with ESXi 5.1 and FreeNAS as guest (latest version, fresh downloaded),
Gigabyte examples are on my workstation (Ubuntu) , running same, fresh FreeNAS as guest on a VMWare workstation 9 host.

The reason I started testing on workstation and right now are only testing that - is because I thought there could be something strange with multi terabyte drives.. that's also why I limited the virtual drive size to 3TiB - because it's no bigger then than a single drive.
From now on, I promise to stick to speaking of Gigabytes for the rest of the testing.
I never mixed up Giga*bits* into this.

I am glad to hear that you think this behavior is strange.
My backup plan is to skip FreeNAS, and run a Ubuntu server as file server on plain EXT4. - , but it would be sweet to get FreeNAS to doi the job,

Andre-K

Dabbler
Adding 2 drives, 6GB in stripe (6GB)
S1.jpg
Gives me 2GB free.
S2.jpg

Adding 3GB single drive
S3.jpg
Gives 1GB free...
S4.jpg

joshg678

Explorer
thats because it uses 2GB for each drive for Swap Storage.
You 'can' change that value in the configuration, but its not reccommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.