Setting up new pool

scorpoin

Dabbler
Greetings,

I have dell 720R server with Raid5 configured 70Tb space. Now I wouldike to create a pool for my new installation as I select hdd data storage layout it shows me warning message data will be loss inmy strip available and there is no redundancy, I already configure Raid5 on my server . Please suggest since 70Tb is combination of hdds using raid5.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you using the Dell RAID controller? This isn't recommended for ZFS.

scorpoin

Dabbler
I did some research so I came up to destroyed my raid config and set HBA mode and installed fresh TrueNAS .

Now my question is does RaidZ equal to Raid5 ? I can only see Raidz , Raidz2 and Raidz3 option only.

Regards

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Now my question is does RaidZ equal to Raid5 ? I can only see Raidz , Raidz2 and Raidz3 option only.

More or less, but RAIDZ* isn't exactly like RAID5, as ZFS allows for variable parity block sizes, unlike RAID5's fixed parity block sizes. The different RAIDZ levels denote how many parity copies are retained over your pool.

Nowadays, RAIDZ1 (which more or less maps to RAID5) isn't recommended anymore, as loss of a single drive means you have NO redundancy during the resilver. RAIDZ2 is better, as you can still lose a drive during the resilver and still have a working pool.

sretalla