How to access my freenas from an external network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashwints

Cadet
I can't seem to find a guide on how I can access my freenas from an external network.
Anyone have a guide to going about doing so ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope.

The answer is VPN. It's one of those things that if you don't know how this forum isn't the place to start learning how.

marian78

Patron

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't let @jgreco see that link. His head will probably explode. We had a big explosion in that thread a few weeks ago because it's not recommended for a whole bunch of reasons, not the least of which is for security reasons. :P

marian78

Patron
I just wrote where he can begin to learn not to do on a production server. :) Personally i use pfSense.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Don't let @jgreco see that link. His head will probably explode. We had a big explosion in that thread a few weeks ago because it's not recommended for a whole bunch of reasons, not the least of which is for security reasons. :p

Actually that was about firewalling *on* a FreeNAS box, and my not feeling the need to teach Remedial Computer Security 072 in as polite a manner as the Paetzels would like. Since the firewall issue was specifically about exposing a FreeNAS box directly to the Internet and then adding some hacky stuff to "protect" a box that was never designed with security in mind, that was a fail.

In the case of a VPN, this implies that access is happening through a single port, which is likely being forwarded to the FreeNAS box. There are still lots of potential security issues but most of them exist whether you implement the VPN on the FreeNAS box or on a different box.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right.. but click that link.. it redirects to a freenas 9.2.1.2 with a firewall thread... and no mention of VPN at all. ;)

Mwahahaha.

Did I just hear a head explode?

marian78

Patron
hm, i want send link to thread with openvpn, but always redirect to thread with firewalling.... ok, edited and repaired link. :rolleyes:

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Not too long ago, I learned how to VPN via my router. Then it is just like you are on the local network as far as FreeNAS and the plugins are concerned. Worked very well when I was away for work for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.