Limit jail NIC access: one NIC to internal, one to external

delovelady

Dabbler
Running FreeNAS-11.2-U6. My configuration is that I have a server between the ISP and the rest of the internal network (including the FreeNAS system ("NAS1")); this server provides DNS, firewall services (beyond those provided by ISPs router) and other things. This configuration works great for me, for many years, with a couple of little nuisances when it comes to access from outside the network. Primarily these are PLEX and OWNCLOUD/NEXTCLOUD. At present NAS1's only connection is on the same internal switch that everything else shares. What I would like to do, is to attach NAS1 also to the external router, but allow access only to certain jails (not even to NAS1 itself; only jails within it). I've already set up routes in those jails, in anticipation of getting this working, so that part should be OK.

I did hook NAS1 up to the external router once, and the result was not what I wanted; I'd hoped it would still (magically) make the internal network primary, but it didn't work that way. It got all its DHCP services and configurations from the ISP router, and I had limited access within the local network; obviously not what I want.

The Network help at https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2-U6/network.html is OK but not detailed for this sort of thing. It is more of a "what's this do?" helper, rather than a "how do I do this?" guide.

I have not found other advice that addresses this sort of thing - including on these forums, hence the question. I would appreciate your guidance!

Again, to summarize: Would like external access to PLEX and to OWNCLOUD, but all other services off limits externally, while internal enjoys the full breadth of NAS1 services.

WilbertNL

Dabbler
This is what you're looking to achieve, right?

Code:
Now:
<INTERNET>---[Modem/Router]---<Firewall>---[Switch]---<rest of network>
                                                |
                                                |-----<FreeNAS>

Wanted:
<INTERNET>---[Modem/Router]---<Firewall>---[Switch]---<rest of network>
                    |                           |
                    |----------<FreeNAS>--------|
                    Services/Jails        Services/Jails
                    Plex/OC/NC            All

Not quite sure if you would really want this due to some security risks...

.. I had limited access within the local network; obviously not what I want.

What connectivity did you manage to get?