How should I configure my 4 drives with zfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Noob question. I'm moving over from a raid 10 setup. I think I want a raid 0? but I remember there being a performance thing with even number of drives, and I can't seem to find information about it. I have 4 1tb drives.

From what I remember I think there are like 3 or 4 ways I could configure this, I just can't remember what those were.

1 way gave me 3tb's of access
1 gave me 2 drive parity with 2 tb's accessible (loose any 2 drives and array remains intact)
1 way was for 2 drive parity and a performance gain with 2 tb's accessible they just couldn't be part of the same mirror or something.

I think I want the 2 drive parity with the performance gain. I won't run the system once I loose a drive. So would somebody be able to explain that config a bit better and give me some research direction.

Thanks for your time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd like to suggest that you consult the manual. All of your questions will be answered there. In particular, section 1.1.6.

bcrowder

Dabbler
In my opinion, the performance issues from odd or even numbers of drives are meaningless in a 1GigE network environment like you would have on a home network. You would saturate the network in any configuration.

Thanks,
Bill

bcrowder

Dabbler
Yes, arryo, but a lot of that is geared to IT in a corp environment with a lot heavier network infrastructure. Noobasause80, Read Protosd's posts and faqs, they are more informative for dealing with the home.

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.