RAID-Z2 with only 3 drives?

JDLH

Dabbler
Hi, folks:

I'm new to FreeNAS. I want to build a server for my archive of home documents and photos. My top priority is to be robust against data loss. I don't demand much performance, and data efficiency is nice but secondary to robustness. My old server is a RAID1 with three 3TB drives rotating through two bays. My data has survived, but I know I've been lucky. I want to do better than that with FreeNAS. I currently store 2+ TB, but I will outgrow 3TB in a few months.

I have read a lot of the introduction resources. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write them. It's clear that I want RAID-Z2 instead of RAID-Z1, for robustness. I'm buying FreeNAS Mini hardware with 4 bays. I hear the importance of NAS-grade drives and ECC RAM loud and clear.

I have bought 3 x 10TB WD Red drives. It isn't clear to me if I can set them up as a 3-drive RAID-Z2 vdev. According to the concept of data + 2 parity, it should be possible, and result in a 10TB vdev with two parity. But guides seem to talk about 3-drive vdevs as RAID-Z1 only, and implies that one can only start considering RAID-Z2 with a minimum of 4 drives. What's the real situation? Where in the documentation are the actual constraints described?

The concrete options in front of me seem to be:
  1. Create a RAID-Z2 vdev with the 3 x 10TB drives. Expect 10 TB capacity. Don't expand it until I buy three larger drives, or buy a bigger case and create a second vdev, or until FreeNAS someday starts to allow adding drives to vdevs.
  2. Create a RAID-Z1 vdev with the 3 x 10TB drives. Expect 14 TB capacity. Manage the increased risk of data loss by a more disciplined backup strategy. Accept the same limitations against expanding as for #1.
  3. Buy a 4th drive. Create a RAID-Z2 vdev with the 4 x 10TB drives. Expect 14TB capacity. (But I'd be happy with 10TB, and option 1.)
  4. Buy a 4th drive. Create a RAID-Z3 vdev with the 4 x 10TB drives. Expect 10TB capacity. Celebrate the increased robustness against data loss.
  5. Create a RAID-Z1 vdev with the 2 x 10TB drives. Expect 10 TB capacity. Use the 3rd drive standalone for backups. (It seems like ZFS could put the drive to better use.)
What would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your insight.
—Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

sretalla