How many RAM needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asterix

Cadet
I'm intended to build a small nas based on an Atom 230 system. I have still 2 GB DDR2 Ram from a dead pc I can recover. I want to use an usb-stick for the start drive and 3 disks of 2 TB in RAID 5.
My question is: Is the Atom fully supported by version 8?
Last year I intended to build a nas with the now old version 7 (also Atom mobo and 512 MB Ram, quite enough for that version), but I had some other projects to attend to. Now I want to go directly for the new version, but I see that a huge amount of RAM is needed now. Is 2 GB enough for the standard use? I'm not intended to install extra modules and the standard UFS is fine for me. I don't need extra ZFS stuff. But I'm interested in new version 8 features like snapshots and backup-restore features.
Or am I forced to use version 7 due to my hardware limitations? I don't want to invest in new hardware and having good older stuff unused.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Give 8.x a shot. I know I have seen postings of people using the Atom processor for FreeNAS so I suspect it's fully supported. It will not be a speed demon but it should work and since you don't want to use ZFS, that lightens up the workload on the Atom. 2GB is enough for the RAM.

esamett

Patron
+1 to Joe. ZFS with 3-4 disks seemed ok when I tested it with 8.0-release. It bogged down with 8 drives and 2GB ram.

warri

Guru
I'm using an Atom-based system with 2Gb of RAM. While transfering data over FTP you get ~50 MB/s and 100% CPU, and almost full RAM. Samba around the same I think..
But that speed is ok for my home use. Maybe i'll upgrade to 4Gb of RAM later, but it's working fine and stable with my current configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.